Page 1 of 57 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast

Thread: The Deluxester Prototype - Sonic's foray into repeatable scratch builds

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar

The Deluxester Prototype - Sonic's foray into repeatable scratch builds

Big things are afoot in the world of Sonic Mountain Guitars. I had possibly the most exciting step forward arrive today so I figure it's time to share. I've been working on this since I finished my first build. The Flying V build was an early iteration of this idea before I really knew what I was doing.

Introducing the SMG Deluxester Prototype project.

I originally started this intending to do a neck through, but various factors kept pushing me back to making a bolt on. There are good reasons Fender does it that way. Building a bunch of guitars and also having people bring me instruments to work on has really made me aware of what I do and don't like in a guitar and by and large, I prefer F style guitars. The seemed little point in trying to build something I didn't love so this is the culmination, both in design and a practical sense, of the last years thinking and drawing up ideas. The shape is a little bit of a lot of differnt guitars smooshed together. It's roughly the same size as a les paul body (I'll put some comparison shots against the template up later)

I'm hoping to eventually use reclaimed timber, particularly mahogany for the bodies, but at the moment I haven't done any timber sourcing. I figure I can wreck some more pine first

After a lot of messing around and trying different things I finally took the plunge and had a bunch of templates cut. These are 4mm mild steel for durability. My hope is that I will be able to build and sell a number of these guitars over the next couple of years. This was $170 for ten pieces delivered to my door - so hit me up if you'd like a contact. I provided all the files and turn around was less than a week.

The design is deliberately flexible in terms of bridge/pickups and electrics. At the moment I'm focusing on getting hard tails right, but I have templates drawn up for a Strat style tremelo as well. While waiting for funds to accumulate for machinery, I've been having plenty of fun doodling some options.

Anyway, I have to keep reminding myself not to get ahead of myself. First task after this will be building a neck using these templates. You may notice a couple of odd looking things amongst the templates some of them are to help me build this machine for cutting fret slots quickly and accurately.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcaat2YNKJ8

All going well this should cut frets to an extremely tight tolerance.

This along with about a million other things is still on the to-do list, so this is going to take a while to realise. I've given myself a goal of having the prototype completed this year. It takes me about 2 months to do a kit, so I think that's a reasonable time frame, given I am building equipment as I go as well. Then assuming I don't find any glaring issues in my process's I'm hoping to be able to churn out a couple a month. We will see .

I never actually thought I would ever build a guitar (despite wanting to since I was a kid) let alone several and be in a position to design my own from scratch. This is thanks in no small part to Pitbull guitars and this forum. I've absorbed an enormous amount of information from here and really pushed myself in several builds to see just what was possible.

So I really hope you all enjoy following along, I'm sure I'm going to need input and advice along the way. Happy to answer any questions, I've been thinking about this post for a while and I'm sure I haven't covered nearly everything I intended to.
    Build 1 - Shoegazer MK1 JMA-1
    Build 2 - The Relliecaster TL-1
    Build 3 - The Black Cherry SG AG-1
    Build 4 - The Sonicaster TL-1ish
    Build 5 - The Steampunker Bass YB-4
    Build 6 - The Howling Gowing ST-1

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"

2. Liked by: ross.pearson

Way to go Sonic! I like your design and the 'modular" approach on the hardware templates. I wish you much success!
    Build 19 PSH-1 Kustom
    Build 18 HB-4S Kustom
    Build 17 WL-1 Kustom
    Build 16 TL-1TB Kustom
    Build 15 PBG-2-
    Build 14 FTD-1
    Build 13 RD-1 Kustom
    Build 12 DM-1S
    Build 11 MKA-2 -
    Build 10 Basic strat
    Build 9 JM Kustom
    Build 8 FV-1G
    Build 7 ES-2V
    Build 6- Community prototype
    Build 5 LP-1LQ
    Build 4 ES-5V
    Build 3 JR-1
    Build 2 GD-1
    Build 1 TLA-1

Very nice Sonic and the shape is on point for what seems to be growing in popularity. With your pick guard models you have the adaptability for it to be fairly modular. Is it a 25.5 scale?
    Tony

Cheers Waltz me too!

Quote Originally Posted by Dedman View Post
    Way to go Sonic! I like your design and the 'modular" approach on the hardware templates. I wish you much success!
    Yep, if you look there are data points to let me line them up exactly with each other. The cut tolerance on the templates is around .01 of a mm, so long as I route carefully everything should fit together neatly. And also, obviously, it makes it easy to swap out humbuckers with singles etc etc. I have a couple of others to get cut, including a P90 version, but they can wait.

Quote Originally Posted by vh2580 View Post
    Very nice Sonic and the shape is on point for what seems to be growing in popularity. With your pick guard models you have the adaptability for it to be fairly modular. Is it a 25.5 scale?
    Cheers, yes I've been following a lot of boutique builders, it's important to have your own style. This one lets me do a lot, from retro looking, to 80's hair metal and beyond, I think I got something 'classic' enough, that is still a little different from everything else. I also have a double cut version for a bit down the track, looks like a mental SG. And yep 25.5 F style scale length, 24 frets. Again, I have done some work on a 'G' style one, but that style of neck doesn't really appeal to me, so I figured I go with this to start with.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Mountain View Post
    looks like a mental SG.
    I'd like to see that!

cheers, Mark

Mentor
    Awesome stuff mate. Look forward to watching the progress.

Size comparison. Despite looking narrower, the Deluxester is only ~10 narrower than the tele at their widest points ~ 320mm.

9. Liked by: OliSam

Top Stuff. enjoy the ride.
    #1 LP1-SS
    #2 Non PB Vintage Strat Rebuild
    #3 TL1 - Custom
    #4 ES-12G (now converted to ES-1)
    #5 RC4
    #6 STA-1HT
    #7 Non PB 52 Tele replica
    #8 Coming Soon: 1970's Japanese Les Paul Special Resto.

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Sweet!
    My specifications as follows:
    22 fret with ebony board
    rear rout control cavity 1V 1T
    top loading HSS routs
    Off set MOP dots and side dots
    Neck mount ferrules instead of neck plate

Mahogany body blank, Rock Maple neck blank and ebony board ready to dispatch, just say the word!

...how would you feel about steam bending a 10mm zebrano top across that elbow contour?

I'm going to get the popcorn.... IGOR! Daiquiris and a tasting platter, STAT!
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

All can be done . Neck is already setup for ferrules as I'm going to shape the heel, same for rear rout control cavity. The 22 fret mod and offset dots could be achieved with current templates as well and the HSS wouldn't be hard to sort out either. Gotta love modular systems...

I'll let you know when I'm onto the next run. If this one goes well I'm going to do 5 concurrently and throw them open for interested parties to customise.

Oh and I have a steamer one nutty idea I have is to do acrylic caps.......

Page 1 of 57 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast