Page 8 of 57 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast

Thread: The Deluxester Prototype - Sonic's foray into repeatable scratch builds

Quote Originally Posted by Fretworn View Post
    Reminds me a bit of this.....
    Are you insinuating that one must grow a mullet to play it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OliSam View Post
    Are you insinuating that one must grow a mullet to play it?
    Considering the rapid growth of my forehead in recent years, the mullet is one of the few hairstyles I might convincingly pull off.

But ...no.

Quote Originally Posted by Fretworn View Post
    Reminds me a bit of this.....
    Yeah I can see that. The original two big inspirations are the Flying Samurai and The Fantomen (which is sort of a Gibson RD shape but nicer)

I used to have one of the flying banana bass's and I always liked the headstock.
    Build 1 - Shoegazer MK1 JMA-1
    Build 2 - The Relliecaster TL-1
    Build 3 - The Black Cherry SG AG-1
    Build 4 - The Sonicaster TL-1ish
    Build 5 - The Steampunker Bass YB-4
    Build 6 - The Howling Gowing ST-1

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"

That Flying Samurai is wild. Shame present day Yamahas are so bland.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

#4 - Zero Budget
    #3 - Semi-Scratch Baritone w. PBG 30" Tele neck
    #2 - EX-1
    #1 - ST-1M

Quote Originally Posted by G-Axe View Post
    That Flying Samurai is wild. Shame present day Yamahas are so bland.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
    Hmm, worth checking out the Revstars, they are really nice guitars. I've played one of these ones and was very impressed (I kinda want one eventually)

Anyway, bit of an update. I took the weekend off from messing around in the shed to do some much needed gardening.

I put a mix of glue and sawdust in the swimming pool cavity and rerouted to tidy it up a it from where I went too deep with the drill.

I've also done some more work contouring the back.

I'm liking the way that's heading, but.....

I have two main concerns:

1. Its still pretty heavy. Despite what I thought earlier, while it's lighter than it was, it's still significantly heavier that the shoegazer body. That guitar is my heaviest and currently apart for some weight reduction as it is.

Deluxester:

Shoegazer (JMA-1) :

2. I'm not entirely sure if its just because I'm removing material and exposing them more, but the cracks in the wood are concerning me. It is kind of par for the course for native timber, which I guess is why there isn't a big foot print using this wood for guitar bodies. I might try some timber mate and see how it looks and if it keeps moving. But yeah, not ideal and starting to make me think that this might be best as a bit of workshop decoration.

At least I know the templates work, and I also know that I can carve up hardwood without too many dramas. I'm going to go back and see the wood guy after Easter, so might start again with some camphor laurel.

I'd be interested in the thoughts of more experienced wood workers than me - do you think I can get away with timbermate and then sealing with Poly.. or should I start again?

I'm also starting to thing that I'd like to fix the neck further into the body. Sitting with it at the moment with the test neck in, it feels like an SG, with the headstock a long way away. When I was drawing it I was just thinking about best possible upper fret access. But on a 24 fret neck, I think its a bit ridiculous at the moment. I'd also like a bit more meat on the heel pocket, so might be a bit of a redesign in the works, possibly lopping off 2 frets and moving everything 'down a bit' I'll see what I can do with the existing templates, but might need to start again. The radius at the bottom of the neck is a problem at the moment anyway as it's too small to get my router bit in, which means I have to tidy it up with the dremel.

Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Mountain View Post

I have two main concerns:

1. Its still pretty heavy. Despite what I thought earlier, while it's lighter than it was, it's still significantly heavier that the shoegazer body. That guitar is my heaviest and currently apart for some weight reduction as it is.

Deluxester:

Shoegazer (JMA-1) :

2. I'm not entirely sure if its just because I'm removing material and exposing them more, but the cracks in the wood are concerning me. It is kind of par for the course for native timber, which I guess is why there isn't a big foot print using this wood for guitar bodies. I might try some timber mate and see how it looks and if it keeps moving. But yeah, not ideal and starting to make me think that this might be best as a bit of workshop decoration.

At least I know the templates work, and I also know that I can carve up hardwood without too many dramas. I'm going to go back and see the wood guy after Easter, so might start again with some camphor laurel.

I'd be interested in the thoughts of more experienced wood workers than me - do you think I can get away with timbermate and then sealing with Poly.. or should I start again?
    I just looked up the information on the White Mahogany (Eucalyptus Tenuipes) and I'm not surprised that's the weight you're getting. A seasoned density of 950kg/m3 is heavy stuff. The eucalyptus that I've got for my body for my tele build was also heavy (hence the thinline direction for the build) and that has a lower density. An option could be to convert this to a chambered body (like Gibson has done with a lot of Les Pauls) and glue a top on it? That approach would also hide the cracks on the top.

For the cracks on the back, if timbermate doesn't work maybe you could try resin in the cracks to stop them spreading?

I've found that Eucalyptus is not that tolerant of temperature change. When we came out of the Canberra winter last year into spring and then summer mine ended up with quite a number of cracks starting to appear. I just put titebond into the cracks at the time to stop them spreading which seemed to work and then when I cut out the body shape I cut away the areas with cracks. And I've been keeping the rough cut blank inside the house when I'm not working on it because the temperature is more stable.

Hopefully some others can offer you some more advice. I don't think you should stop on this one even if it just ends up on the wall as your first prototype because it'll give you a lot of information in preparation for production of more. And I think you'll find Camphor much nicer to work with.

I think it was phrozin warned about using Timbermate under paint.
    I used it to fill gaps in the tuner dowels on a headstock.
    After painting and clear-coat it shrunk, leaving obvious divots in the finish.

cheers, Mark.

That's interesting as it claims to not shrink.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Mountain View Post
    That's interesting as it claims to not shrink.
    Come to think of it, that was why I asked what 'bog' you used.
    I since found some long forgotten tube in a drawer.
    If you are painting over it then it's probably better to use that.

cheers, Mark.

Well I was planning on stain and poly. Not much point in using weird wood if you don't show it off.

I'm thinking I'll just chalk it up as experience and start again with a new template batch and wood blank.

Staining will probably be alright. It's paint that presents a problem.
    Doh!! those 'Subliminal Clairvoyant' tapes were a waste of money.

cheers, Mark.

Page 8 of 57 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast