Page 45 of 57 FirstFirst ... 35 43 44 45 46 47 55 ... LastLast

Thread: The Deluxester Prototype - Sonic's foray into repeatable scratch builds

I love it when 3D printers occasionally live up to their promise.

And is that real or engineered rosewood? Given my current build, I have become very interested in how people deal with the engineered stuff.

DC
    Mantra: No more pedals, must finish BlueyCaster...
    Disclaimer: I haven't done woodwork since high school, and wasn't really paying attention at the time ...

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar
    It's real rosewood, this neck is from a couple of years ago.

My printer is a little cheapy from Officeworks, and apart from a terrible GUI it's been a pretty solid unit. I've fixed a lot of stuff with it.

Some guys I know have much better machines and what they get out of them is incredible. I'm also involved in a project where we have a printer farm producing our own 'interlocking brick system for tabletop gaming' based on my designs. If the project lead ever gets over his anxiety about releasing details I'll share it on here, its pretty cool.
    Build 1 - Shoegazer MK1 JMA-1
    Build 2 - The Relliecaster TL-1
    Build 3 - The Black Cherry SG AG-1
    Build 4 - The Sonicaster TL-1ish
    Build 5 - The Steampunker Bass YB-4
    Build 6 - The Howling Gowing ST-1

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"

Quote Originally Posted by jugglindan View Post
    And is that real or engineered rosewood?
    This is engineered rosewood. It came on my TL1-R kit and I got another one from ebay.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	08.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	291.3 KB 
ID:	35331

I'm doing a 7.25: radius on it and using F&W mahogany stain to darken it.
    I'll seal it with clear spray on lacquer that I use on the rest of the neck but probably sand it matt.

cheers, Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Mountain View Post
    It's real rosewood, this neck is from a couple of years ago.

My printer is a little cheapy from Officeworks, and apart from a terrible GUI it's been a pretty solid unit. I've fixed a lot of stuff with it.

Some guys I know have much better machines and what they get out of them is incredible. I'm also involved in a project where we have a printer farm producing our own 'interlocking brick system for tabletop gaming' based on my designs. If the project lead ever gets over his anxiety about releasing details I'll share it on here, its pretty cool.
    The tabletop gaming design sounds very interesting. That's a hobby I wish I had time to develop. But since the only way to make time would be to drop electronics or guitar, it's probably not going to happen. And if the design is something you plan to sell at some stage you are right to keep it under wraps.

Quote Originally Posted by king casey View Post
    This is engineered rosewood. It came on my TL1-R kit and I got another one from ebay.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	08.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	291.3 KB 
ID:	35331

I'm doing a 7.25: radius on it and using F&W mahogany stain to darken it.
    I'll seal it with clear spray on lacquer that I use on the rest of the neck but probably sand it matt.

cheers, Mark.
    Interesting. I sealed my board with thin CA based on advice from Sonic and Simon. I still have work to do on getting an even finish on it (currently uneven sanding around the frets) but it feels as smooth as silk. My hope is for a smooth fretboard that doesn't grab strings but still looks like rosewood.
    Disclaimer: I haven't done woodwork since high school, and wasn't really paying attention at the time ...

double post

Another 3D print experiment. A fret slotting mitre box. The tolerances are a little tight as I asked a bit much of my cheapy printer, so I might print another one, I think it'll work though.

Looks good. I would like a 3D printer, but I think that if I had one I would probably just end up churning out a long line of toys for my little helper.

They are a lot of fun. Really quite handy, but a reasonably steep learning curve. I'm on my 4th or 5th piece of modelling software, and each time I've had to re teach myself how to use it. I'm using Fusion 360 right now and its very good, but I'm still working a lot of it out.

My printer was $300 at office works with 2 spools of filament that last ages. Printing toys and stuff is a great way to get a handle on how to use it. I would not really recommend my model (Da Vinci Nano) it's a bit annoying, but Prusa and Ender make some good affordable kits which are better quality than mine, once the setup is done correctly.

For our table top game our engineer actually built his own initially because we couldn't get the resolution we wanted. We now run modified Enders, with the control code re-written to give finer layering.

Bit of progress, most of the polishing is done, ran out of swirl removers so I guess I'll do another pass after assembly. There is still one pretty thin area on one of the curves, but I'm over waiting for it to dry. There are a number of imperfections in this build anyway.

Got the neck and bridge on, but I drilled the control plate holes about .5mm too far south for the pick gaurd to fit really nicely, so filled with CA and I'll re-drill that so there aren't any gaps.

Had enough for now anyway.

Ooooh, shiiiiiny...
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Page 45 of 57 FirstFirst ... 35 43 44 45 46 47 55 ... LastLast