Page 20 of 57 FirstFirst ... 10 18 19 20 21 22 30 ... LastLast

Thread: The Deluxester Prototype - Sonic's foray into repeatable scratch builds

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Mountain View Post
    And done. Messy and the fingerboard broke. Probably be easier with a better scraper and frets installed. No major damage to the neck though so that's good.

Yep, you need a fairly thin bladed one to get under the board and to flex, so that the board doesn’t. The Tas Oak probably didn’t help matters, but it’s as Igor always says,
    “It’th all valuable learning exthperienth, jutht make sure you have a thuitable exthit when the mob turnth up.”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

When I took the fretboard off the EX1 I used an old thin filtering knife and a set of gloves so i could work the blade down with a hand either side of the fretboard. I am sure that frets help though as they would transfer the heat better to the glue. Hopefully you don't have to do too many more

Bloody auto correct, should be filleting knife

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar
    Yep and yep. I was happy to sacrifice the fretboard, its no good anyway. The squire neck I'm using for comparison has a buggered truss rod so I'll have a go at doing it at some point down the track.
    Build 1 - Shoegazer MK1 JMA-1
    Build 2 - The Relliecaster TL-1
    Build 3 - The Black Cherry SG AG-1
    Build 4 - The Sonicaster TL-1ish
    Build 5 - The Steampunker Bass YB-4
    Build 6 - The Howling Gowing ST-1

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"

Mentor
    Yep, Tas Oak is useful to experiment with because it's easy to get and not too expensive but I have to say I won't work with it again after my experience with it on my first scratch build.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Picking up some dislike for the Tas Oak. What exactly about it are you guys thinking is a problem? It seems to do the job and is easy enough to work with. The only issues I've had have been of my own making. I'm probably just going to go with it again here unless there is some glaring reason why I shouldn't?

Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Mountain View Post
    Picking up some dislike for the Tas Oak. What exactly about it are you guys thinking is a problem? It seems to do the job and is easy enough to work with. The only issues I've had have been of my own making. I'm probably just going to go with it again here unless there is some glaring reason why I shouldn't?
    The main reasons I haven't liked the pieces I got is that it's heavy, it's prone to tear out and it likes to splinter and crack.

But bearing in mind that Tas Oak and Vic Ash are generic names for lots of different types of Eucalyptus which means I may have a different type to you and your experience with it could be quite different.

Ah right. Yeah I really haven't noticed any splintering/tear out issues with this except where I was a bit aggressive in removal of the fretboard. I've actually found it quite nice to work with.

I have one more really nice clean piece that I was planning on using. It is reasonably heavy, but the fretboard is pretty small so that's not a big consideration for this application. For a body I can see it being an issue.

I kinda like the idea of continuing with it as it makes it an entirely aussie timber build. Will probably look for something a bit more interesting for the next one.

Mentor
    Yep I'm the same. I like the idea of using local timbers, my scratch tele is mostly Australian timbers. The fretboard is Queensland Walnut but the top on the body is Yaka which is Fijian. For one of my next builds I have Australian Red Cedar for the body, Queensland Maple for the neck and a selection of Aussie timbers that I could use for the fretboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Woltz View Post
    The main reasons I haven't liked the pieces I got is that it's heavy, it's prone to tear out and it likes to splinter and crack.

But bearing in mind that Tas Oak and Vic Ash are generic names for lots of different types of Eucalyptus which means I may have a different type to you and your experience with it could be quite different.

My experiences with it have involved lots of splintering, lots of tear out, even with freshly sharpened bits and tools. This has been a common encounter with Both "Tas Oak" and "Vic Ash" purchased from a certain green shed. Vic Ash purchased from an independant timer merchant fared better, but not by much.
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Page 20 of 57 FirstFirst ... 10 18 19 20 21 22 30 ... LastLast