Thread: Chinese Martin Vs Mexican Strat/Tele

Chinese Martin Vs Mexican Strat/Tele

Would like some views on what seems to be the big issue if one should decide to purchase a Chinese fake Martin acoustic D28, 45 or whatever or a Stratacaster/Telecaster made in Mexico? We all know they both lack quality in workmanship but the sound apparently is not all that bad. I've never played a 'fake' Martin but i've played the Strats/Tele from Mexico and found them to be decent-some better then others.

The whole concept that workmanship is poorer in low income countries is a bit flawed. Those people work hard to keep their job and food in their bellies where quite a few westerners will embrace the slack at every opportunity safe in the knowledge that labour laws have their back ( look at QC from both Fender and Gibson in recent years). Also quite often factories in the east will have more modern machinery because :a it's made in that country , B. the factory is newer. Materials and hardware are probably going to be the main difference.
    Having said that, I've not played a Chinese acoustic, I've played a Chinese made Gretsch and it was hard to tell from a Korean one which is a very nice guitar. Just like Japan in 60's and 70's many of the brands you see quite possibly come from the same factory. I think the only test is when you play it, if it sounds nice and plays well, then its a good guitar.
    Build 19 PSH-1 Kustom
    Build 18 HB-4S Kustom
    Build 17 WL-1 Kustom
    Build 16 TL-1TB Kustom
    Build 15 PBG-2-
    Build 14 FTD-1
    Build 13 RD-1 Kustom
    Build 12 DM-1S
    Build 11 MKA-2 -
    Build 10 Basic strat
    Build 9 JM Kustom
    Build 8 FV-1G
    Build 7 ES-2V
    Build 6- Community prototype
    Build 5 LP-1LQ
    Build 4 ES-5V
    Build 3 JR-1
    Build 2 GD-1
    Build 1 TLA-1

I've got a USA made Fender Strat and a Mexican Fender Telecaster, both are from 2014, to be honest when comparing the build quality of the two, there is very little difference, sound wise, the Mexican Tele sounds every bit as good as the USA Strat to my ears even though the hardware on the USA Strat is supposed to be of better quality, I guess in the past instruments made in Fender's Ensenada factory may have gained a reputation for quality that was a bit hit-or-miss, but I think the quality control has improved a lot since then, you shouldn't always equate pricier instruments as being of higher quality, I've read lots of reports from people who had bought expensive Gibson guitars and were disappointed with the build quality they got for their money, hopefully after Gibson got rid of their last CEO and re-started under new management we'll be seeing some great guitars being released.

Both my Mexican Tele and USA Strat are built using the same woods (Maple necks and Alder bodies, and yes that's solid wood not plywood), same manufacturing techniques and etc, just made in different factories.

Of course, Fender USA did apparently manufacture some lower quality instruments during their CBS era.
    Last edited by DrNomis_44; 12-03-2019 at 11:12 AM.