Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Green and gold GR-1SF

A quick update!

I read more on the forum and decided to follow the advice given here. Unfortunately, the only grain filler i could find in any shop was pure white. But since I had also just bought the black stain powder, I figured that I could try to make it as dark as necessary. So, after doing some test patches it became obvious that turning the filler really dark is the way to go. It just worked very nicely, accentuating the wood grain.

Here is the procedure so far:
    - sanding the entire guitar body dry (240 grit) and wet (240 grit, very lightly).
    - starting at the back, to see if the result works out as planned.
    - applying the black grain filler, letting it become half dry, scraping off all the excess and removing more of the excess using a damp cloth.
    - letting the filler dry completely and carefully sand again until smooth to the touch.

Next were a couple of layers with the green stain. The pictures were taken when still wet; when it dries the colour is much less lively.

I think on the close-up you can see that it is not entirely smooth. Not sure how smooth I should be aiming for, perhaps sanding lightly with 400 grit or just steel wool before applying the protective clear coat?

The next step is to practice a subtle black burst on the test patch and on the back. When satisfied, the same will be applied to the front.

Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerard View Post
    A quick update!

I read more on the forum and decided to follow the advice given here. Unfortunately, the only grain filler i could find in any shop was pure white. But since I had also just bought the black stain powder, I figured that I could try to make it as dark as necessary. So, after doing some test patches it became obvious that turning the filler really dark is the way to go. It just worked very nicely, accentuating the wood grain.

Here is the procedure so far:
    - sanding the entire guitar body dry (240 grit) and wet (240 grit, very lightly).
    - starting at the back, to see if the result works out as planned.
    - applying the black grain filler, letting it become half dry, scraping off all the excess and removing more of the excess using a damp cloth.
    - letting the filler dry completely and carefully sand again until smooth to the touch.

Next were a couple of layers with the green stain. The pictures were taken when still wet; when it dries the colour is much less lively.

I think on the close-up you can see that it is not entirely smooth. Not sure how smooth I should be aiming for, perhaps sanding lightly with 400 grit or just steel wool before applying the protective clear coat?

The next step is to practice a subtle black burst on the test patch and on the back. When satisfied, the same will be applied to the front.
    Nice colour Gerard. What clear coat are you going with?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2