Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast

Thread: #3rd Custom GR-1SF ‘Annylonation’.

Quote Originally Posted by thess View Post
    Hey DarkMark - I am just about to start staining the front of my ESB4 and I am worried about the binding/purfling around the f holes and face of the guitar body. Can you please elaborate on the tape youve used in the pic and any other advice? I used blue painters tape when doing the back and the sides and apart from a little bit of bleeding, it has come out well.

Love the finish and the build so far. Congrats on the subterfuge but its always just a matter of time until wives uncover new purchases
    Hi Thess, thanks for the compliment. As you said, it was only a matter of time before my wife found out. Luckily I live under a benevolent dictator.

Forum members put me onto 6mm automotive tape on a previous build. I had trouble finding it locally and ended up buying it from eBay. It also comes in different widths. It’s not perfect but does the majority of the work. Stain will find its way into cracks, especially around tight bends. I use a scalpel blade to scrape the binding from that point on.
    Tips;
    I found I should of waited a couple of days after removing the tape so the tape glue/stain residue is thoroughly dry so you don’t pick it up on your gloved hands and place them back down on your guitar.
    Where gloves when scraping.
    Don’t try to do it all at once. It’s hours of fun, but after about two hours of scraping I find I am more at risk of a little slip onto the wood.
    As I mentioned in my diary the clear coats will drag a bit of colour over the purfling. It’s only subtle, up to you if you want to do anything about that. I did, more hours of fun.
    Take your time, don’t rush.

I read all the diaries so I’ll see how you get on. Good luck!

2. Liked by: thess

16 coats and a proper 1200 wet sand.

16 coats...nice. No chance of sanding through that....

Quote Originally Posted by aido78 View Post
    16 coats...nice. No chance of sanding through that....
    ooooo you've put that out in the universe now.....
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

aido, I think you underestimate my ability. Having said that I haven’t sanded through the poly yet, except a spot next to a drip I was giving some extra attention with the 1200 paper (why didn’t I mask around it?). A little touch up was required which I’ll only ever know is there.
    23 coats on the body and a good 1500 wet sand today.

28 coats, 1500 wet sand.

33 coats, 2000 wet sand.

36 coats, a light 2000 wet sand. Getting close to stopping.

40 coats, a good 2000 wet sand and I think it’s pretty flat. I’ll see how it looks when I put the next coat on because the glossy sheen will reveal any floors and if all is good-a couple of thin layers to polish off and it’s done.

45 coats and I think it’s time to stop. Now, waiting on my August/September neck.

Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast