Page 16 of 23 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast

Thread: #3rd Custom GR-1SF ‘Annylonation’.

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar
    Won't hurt anything. Quite common on maple necks for it to be sealed and it's something I've done on my last few builds. Saves taping, protects the board. I guess with a lot of playing there is potential to wear through.. but I guess by that stage its genuine relic'ing.

On a side note I'm on a few Hagstrom pages and there is at least one guy who goes right off the deep end regarding the use of lemon oil as its 'too acidic' in his opinion and encourages cracking. He recommends parrafin Oil, which is amusing as a lot of 'Lemon Oil's' sold for guitars are mostly paraffin with a small amount of lemon oil or even none, just the smell added... anyway not really relevant, just saw him pop up again this morning carrying on about it. The last time I kept asking for some empirical data and all he had was anecdotes and the phrase 'go and talk to a luthier'... OK buddy.
    Build 1 - Shoegazer MK1 JMA-1
    Build 2 - The Relliecaster TL-1
    Build 3 - The Black Cherry SG AG-1
    Build 4 - The Sonicaster TL-1ish
    Build 5 - The Steampunker Bass YB-4
    Build 6 - The Howling Gowing ST-1

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"

Lol, ok.
    Yep, the fretboard will stay as it is. I did think it would make it easier during the upcoming steps, not that it’s essential by any means. Neck stained and wiped back with a bit of metho to match the body. Next will be a couple of clear coats, scrape neck purfling, some more clear coats, glue neck on and finish clear coating with the neck attached...and make a truss rod cover so I can clear coat it at the same time.

I’ll leave these here and come back and see how I feel about them. I’m moving house in February/March so I’d like to get to a stage where I don’t need certain tools anymore and I can pack a few things away in boxes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PNG image 66.png 
Views:	101 
Size:	838.2 KB 
ID:	33019   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PNG image 67.png 
Views:	117 
Size:	509.3 KB 
ID:	33020  

Hmmmm. Bit too subtle for me. I think it needs to be darker.
    Didn't mention it earlier but I think maybe layered curved over straight might look nice to kind of match the tail piece. And in black or at least dark stained wood.

Sent from my LG-H930 using Tapatalk

I think once it’s glossed it will stand out a little more. Everything is sanded and a bit flat looking at the moment. I understand what you are saying, but I think I’d like to keep it on the subtle side.

I still prefer the straighter sided one, rather than the scalloped one, but both work using the same veneer as the headstock.

Is there anything on the back of the cover for reinforcement? I have a mandolin that had a similar style all-wood truss rod cover and that split right down the middle and I now need to knock another one up.

Once you've got a hole in and a screw holding it down, the pressure of the screw will work on any weakness in the grain. I'd consider either sticking a thin sheet of plastic to the rear to help hold it together, or else some more veneer at right-angles and then thinning it down.

Well that’s something to think about. My first truss rod cover is still going strong-made from a single piece of pine. I’ll be gentle and take my chances.
    Now that I’ve made the covers I think I’m leaning towards the curves.

I think I might prefer an option somewhere in between.

I'll get my coat...

I got nervous about the string angle from the nut to the tuner so I’ve extended the curved groove on the headstock face. I had half a mind to keep the neck natural. I gave the stained portion of the neck two coats of wipe on poly separate from the the rosewood to avoid dragging stain over the rosewood. I was starting to think I should of kept the neck natural but once the rosewood was coated in poly it turned out ok.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PNG image 68.png 
Views:	104 
Size:	462.8 KB 
ID:	33036  

Neck has had it’s first wet sand and has been attached to the body.

Page 16 of 23 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast