Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast

Thread: #3rd Custom GR-1SF ‘Annylonation’.

I feel like injection with something will be the only long term solution. At the risk of making a mess of it I think I should give it a go.

Well, good luck. I would be inclined to try boat building epoxy rather than cyanoacrylate, simply because its much better at gap filling. I'm trying to think, though, of a good way of exploring what might be going on and where you would need to fill, and not coming up with any ideas I like. Drilling half a dozen 4mm holes round the affected area would certainly enable you to explore what's going on, but feels like a cure that is far worse than the disease. Does careful tapping with a pencil tell you anything useful in terms of the sound?
    Build #1, failed solid body 6 string using neck from a scrapped acoustic (45+ odd years ago as a teenager!)
    Build #2, ugly parlour semi with scratch built body and ex Peavey neck
    Build #3, Appalachian Dulcimer from EMS kit
    Build #4, pre-owned PB ESB-4
    Build #5, Lockdown Mandolin
    Build #6, Sixty six body for Squier
    Build #7, Mini Midi Bass

But surely you want to re-attach the layers in a close-fitting manner, not just fill in the gaps between them leaving things proud?

I must admit to not knowing what's actually achievable here, but I know what I'd like to achieve.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    But surely you want to re-attach the layers in a close-fitting manner, not just fill in the gaps between them leaving things proud?
    That would be good, but how to do it? I can't think of a way to clamp it all together... And not knowing exactly what's gone wrong doesn't help. TBH that's why if it were mine my inclination would be to monitor it, and only intervene if really forced.

Can you beg or borrow some kind of industrial endoscope to get a sight of what's visible on the inside? I would like to know if anything is visible there. Might give some clues.

I should shut up at this point, because the level of expertise and experience required is almost certainly way beyond my capabilities. Nothing worse than suggestions from people who can talk the talk, but not walk the walk.
    Build #1, failed solid body 6 string using neck from a scrapped acoustic (45+ odd years ago as a teenager!)
    Build #7, Mini Midi Bass

Progress shot. Sliced along the splits and dug a scalpel around the soft patch. Used a needle and syringe to inject super glue into the wood. Didn’t create as much visible damage as I expected so far. As you can see the position is right where my right arm would be resting and I didn’t want my arm to catch and splinter the area and make me all kinds of unhappy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PNG image 74.png 
Views:	119 
Size:	377.9 KB 
ID:	33198  

Quote Originally Posted by DarkMark View Post
    Progress shot. Sliced along the splits and dug a scalpel around the soft patch. Used a needle and syringe to inject super glue into the wood. Didn’t create as much visible damage as I expected so far. As you can see the position is right where my right arm would be resting and I didn’t want my arm to catch and splinter the area and make me all kinds of unhappy.
    Exthellent work Thir! Though i think it could uth a few boltth and thitches...
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Sanded back, a little mahogany in with some poly. Oops, don’t go over the purfling, and I think I will get away with it once I’ve built the layers back up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PNG image 75.png 
Views:	103 
Size:	320.5 KB 
ID:	33203  

Good work.
    Build #7, Mini Midi Bass

Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast