Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: #3rd Custom GR-1SF ‘Annylonation’.

I am looking forward to seeing this one happen! Good luck keeping it from Mrs Dark Mark

Quote Originally Posted by DarkMark View Post
    That’s a bit fatalistic.

Well, behold! The headstock doesn’t look extra large to me, that’s going to give me something to think about. It’s a little rough on a quick inspection. Dark glue marks on the (anatomical) right side? Work to do.
    Take a sharp Router bit and run straight line across your edges to the top of the Headstock. Graft some additional maple strips to either side and make them longer than the existing or as long as you need to work your new design.
    Fill between the ends of the grafts with another maple fillet to suit what you need. Use dowels to provide extra strength between the grafted on bits and the base head stock.
    If you make them all slightly thicker then you can sand or plane them back to the existing HS with little to no gap (depending on how you fit was to start with). Take that back slightly and you can add a HS Veneer to go along with your decorative bits.

That's what Igor is telling me anyway.....
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenWashie View Post
    Take a sharp Router bit and run straight line across your edges to the top of the Headstock. Graft some additional maple strips to either side and make them longer than the existing or as long as you need to work your new design.
    Fill between the ends of the grafts with another maple fillet to suit what you need. Use dowels to provide extra strength between the grafted on bits and the base head stock.
    If you make them all slightly thicker then you can sand or plane them back to the existing HS with little to no gap (depending on how you fit was to start with). Take that back slightly and you can add a HS Veneer to go along with your decorative bits.

That's what Igor is telling me anyway.....
    I’m not sure where I am going to get maple from. Perhaps I take my neck for a ride down to this ‘Timber Bloke’ bloke. Otherwise I was considering getting some pine to make up the back of the headstock. So...are you suggesting drill a hole or two from the face of the headstock all the way through to the back and fill the holes with dowels? That sounds like a good idea. I was only planning on using Titebond.

Thanks Dougr, day two and the operation is still under wraps.

After you have squared off the sides, and prepped your grafts, you can clamp it all together and run though your graft, all the way into your existing headstock from the side and that will get you dowel holes lined up, if you don't have a drill press to do the operation. You can hide the dowel with a tint of your finish.
    If you can't abide the thought of a visible dowel, your tuner mounts might hide them if you position carefully.

I've an American Rock Maple offcut that might suit you, it was the end of a 2.6m 160 x 25 plank, had intended to make a laminated neck from it, it's just long enough for an F neck but it would be a pain as there is a crack in one end and a live edge fall off on one side.
    And given I have half a dozen actual neck blanks lurking in the lab at present, its not really critical to make another neck blank.

I am more than happy to donate it to your Inner Igor if it will help.
    FrankenLab

This is the chunk, it’s roughly 160 x 25 by about 650 mm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    FrankenLab

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenWashie View Post

This is the chunk, it’s roughly 160 x 25 by about 650 mm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That’s a mighty generous offer FrankenWashie, but I’ll decline for now. I’ll have a go at sourcing something locally first, but I’ll keep it in mind. I’m not working tomorrow so I think I’ll sneak off to the Timber Bloke and keep the diary updated. According to their web site The Timber Bloke caters for small projects.

Think nothing of it mate, But if you happen to spot some bass fretboard sized chunks of she oak lying around at the timber bloke joint, Holler!
    FrankenLab

Ok, I’ll make enquires. I could post photos if you’ll have access to the forum tomorrow morning (WA time), I could pick something up for you while I’m there. What sort of dimensions would you be looking for?

Quote Originally Posted by DarkMark View Post
    Ok, I’ll make enquires. I could post photos if you’ll have access to the forum tomorrow morning (WA time), I could pick something up for you while I’m there. What sort of dimensions would you be looking for?
    Cool, really appreciate if you could.
    Ideally something in the order of 8-10mm thick, 80-90mm width and 800mm long or there abouts.
    If you spot something along those lines just drop me a note, I’ll make contact with the Bloke and do the needful of it all suits, but it always helps to have “eyes on the ground” so to speak. Cheers Mark!
    FrankenLab

The Timber Bloke has a large variety of small boards for projects such as boxes. These boards are machined and can be sanded if required. Boards usually put aside for this purpose are highly figured and perfect for such a purpose. They are usually between 6 and 12mm thick and up to 150mm wide.

Copied from their website.

Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast