Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Strat, Tele, or Les Paul?

Strat, Tele, or Les Paul?

I consider guitars as tools to get a particular musical job done. I've been trying to get my head around the context in which a strat, tele or Les Paul would best be used.

Playing on a disco or funk track? Any of the three could probably do the job if dialed in right, but must folks would grab the strat.

Down tuned metal? Again all three could be pressed into service, but most folks would grab the Les Paul.

Those are two examples. I'm trying to get a better understanding of what the signature tone for each instrument is best used for and I'm hoping the collective wisdom on this forum might shed some light on the matter.

Everywhere I go on youtube I merely find all three guitars compared playing the same riff through the same amp/effects. This is like comparing a saw, a screw driver and a hammer to see which one drives in a nail best.

For me, the defining element is the pickup output. The (relatively) lower output of single coils lends itself to musical styles that have a cleaner guitar sound - Jazz, Pop, Country, Funk, etc. and higher output humbuckers lend themselves to more overdrive and the musical styles that use it - rock, metal, punk, etc. - but even then, the difference is relatively minor, so there's a lot of crossover in the middle.

Trouble is, perception is everything and when you hear C&W, you think Telecaster.... you hear the term hard rock, you think LP.... you hear pop, you think Strat but the reality is that most of us in here have covered all styles with whatever guitar we were gigging at the time; in my case, a Vantage VA900, which was equipped with 2 humbuckers, coil split and phase reversed with on board boost and effective tone controls so I could do a pretty fair imitation of most sounds I was after... and I'll bet all the gigging musos in here will say the same!

I will say that I think a Stratocaster is just the coolest looking guitar, and a pretty good tool for a muso to boot!

The best guitar, however, is the one that you like at that time and that you feel most at home with!
    "If it's Blues music in a bar and it helps people swallow their drink of choice, or it's a dance song and people get up off their chairs and shuffle their feet, or it's a Jazz tune and the Chardonnay tastes so much better... then it's all good."

- Marcel

I guess its the stereotypes I'm fishing for, just as a starting point to understanding guitar sound a little better.

Yeah, comes down to personal preference.

If I had to be on a desert island without ALL of my PBG builds I'd cry for days.

Buuuut, the ultimate to me would be a tele with a tweed deluxe. A tele can do almost anything. The Jazz of Julian Lage or Bill Frissel, the rock sound of of Jimmy Page, etc etc and the list goes on.

however, again to me, nothing but a Strat can sound like certain Knopfler fingerings on that famous in-between setting.

Even though a telebridge pup can get awesome rock tones, a single coil can't match the effortless girth and output of a humbucker without some sort of pedal assistance, even then it doesn't "feel" the same.

Then you can put a humbucker into any style, tele, strat, LP, SG or an ES and, to me, they sound totally different. You can her a single coil tele and a tele with humbuckers on Kirk Fletchers new album. He recorded the whole album with both types.

You can get close to a Freddy King sound with an LP but then again its missing the throaty neck and raspy bridge positions of an ES.

Sorry, rant over. I just love em all.
    Build #1 - ST-1 - Completed
    Build #2 - LP-1SS - Completed
    Build #3 - TLA-1R - Completed
    Build #4 - SGD-612 - Completed
    Build #5 - ES-1G - Completed
    Build #6 - STA-1HT | Completed
    Build #7 - ST1JR - Completed
    Current Build #8 - JBA-4
    Build #9 - Semi-scratch build Tele x 2 - Completed
    Current Build #10 - PRS-1H
    Current Build #11 - AGJR-1 - Completed
    Current Build #12 - ATL-1SB
    Current Build #13 - GST-1
    Current Build #14 - FBM-1

I've been thinking the same things for a while. my current build, the Tele with a bridge humbucker ( splitable) is probably the closest I've got to "the all purpose guitar"...for me.
    Build 19 PSH-1 Kustom
    Build 18 HB-4S Kustom
    Build 17 WL-1 Kustom
    Build 16 TL-1TB Kustom
    Build 15 PBG-2-
    Build 14 FTD-1
    Build 13 RD-1 Kustom
    Build 12 DM-1S
    Build 11 MKA-2 -
    Build 10 Basic strat
    Build 9 JM Kustom
    Build 8 FV-1G
    Build 7 ES-2V
    Build 6- Community prototype
    Build 5 LP-1LQ
    Build 4 ES-5V
    Build 3 JR-1
    Build 2 GD-1
    Build 1 TLA-1

A Strat, Tele, or Les Paul is capable of handling pretty much any genre of guitar-based music, especially the Tele, when the first Teles were manufactured by Fender in the late 40's and early 50's, it was mostly played by country & western guitarists, so it came to be regarded as mostly a country & western guitar, then lots of the early Blues guitarists started playing them, Keith Richards from the Rolling Stones plays them, next time you're on youtube try doing a search for the song "Whatever You Want" by Status Quo, the two guitarists are playing Teles, that's a good example of Teles being played in a Rock context, Teles can also do Surf Rock, as can Strats, try doing a youtube search of "Wipeout" by The Ventures, and check out the guitar Nookie Edwards is playing.

A lot of it is really down to attitude and personal playing style really.

Oh yes, Syd Barrett, Pink Floyd's original guitarist and frontman, played a white Tele too.

The Telecaster has a solid workhorse-like vibe about it that's similar to a Les Paul, but with more of a Fender tone to it, the so called Tele "Twang", I think Leo Fender got the design spot-on right the first time, he was basically designing a guitar that was as simple and inexpensive to manufacture as possible, but the funny thing is, those early 50's Teles are highly sought-after and can command high prices, originally, it was known as the Broadcaster but Leo Fender had to change the name to Telecaster (it was named that after regular TV telecasting started in the early 50's) in order to avoid being sued by the Gretsch company since they were manufacturing a drum kit called the Broadkaster (note the spelling).

Fender also manufactured a similar guitar called the Esquire, it looked the same like a regular standard Telecaster except that it only had a single bridge pickup.
    Last edited by DrNomis_44; 03-03-2019 at 11:56 AM.

Bill covers a lot of sonic territory on a Tele right here

Metal (or something like it) with a great twangy single coil sound:

Two guitar parts - a Strat and the middle coil of an Ibanez with a HSH configuration.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast