Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: New guitar day today.

Woohoo!!.....my parcel from Stewmac just got delivered to my front door.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Parcel Contents_resized.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	199.5 KB 
ID:	30152
    Last edited by DrNomis_44; 04-03-2019 at 11:28 AM.

AH, Stewmac parcel Day!
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenWashie View Post
    AH, Stewmac parcel Day!

Indeed, some new Tele pickup switch knobs, new Pure Tone multi-contact output jacks, the new Electrosocket output jack mounting system (no more lose and wobbly output jack once it's installed).

For those of you wanting to know how to install an Electrosocket on your Tele builds, I'll be taking a series of pics as I go through the process of installing on my Mexican Tele.....stay tuned!!!
    Last edited by DrNomis_44; 04-03-2019 at 12:00 PM.

4. Liked by: TZK321

Here we go, this is how I installed the new Electrosocket and Pure Tone multi-contact jack on my Mexican Tele.....

First thing I had to do was to remove all the original jack mounting hardware from the guitar, the old hardware consists of a thin piece of mild steel with a hole in the middle, the idea was that as the output jack's mounting nut was tightened-up, the thin piece of mild steel would straighten-up and the corners would bite into the body wood of the guitar, this works okay in theory, but after time the piece of mild steel works lose:

Name:	Old Hardware_resized.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	304.7 KB 
ID:	30153

Once the old jack mounting hardware was removed, I could easily remove the old jack, I had decided to go ahead and replace the old jack with one of the brand-new Pure Tone multi-contact jacks I had ordered from Stewmac, here are two pics, one showing the old jack after removing all the old jack mounting hardware, and a closeup of the new Pure Tone multi-contact jack:

Name:	Old Removed_resized.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	166.4 KB 
ID:	30154

Name:	New Jack_resized.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	192.3 KB 
ID:	30155

I gently pulled the old jack out of it's mounting hole cut into the body, and cut the black and white wires soldered to it with my pair of diagonal cutters, I'm replacing the old jack anyway.

Next I removed the new Electrosocket mounting hardware from it's plastic bag and did a quick test-fit, fortunately it fits perfectly, next thing to do was to drill two holes for the mounting screws, the holes need to be drilled at a roughly 45 degree angle to the centreline of the jack mounting hole so that the screws bite into the wood:

Name:	Holes Drilled_resized.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	247.8 KB 
ID:	30156

Finally, after drilling the mounting screw holes, the new Pure Tone multi-contact was screwed into place on the new Electrosocket mounting hardware, then I soldered the black ground wire onto the ground terminal on the new output jack, and the white wire on the tip terminal of the new output jack, here's what it looked like after the two mounting screws were put back into place:

Name:	Job Done_resized.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	187.9 KB 
ID:	30157

Lets have another look at the new Pure Tone output jack.....

Name:	New Jack_resized.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	192.3 KB 
ID:	30158

Notice how it has two contacts for the tip and two contacts for the sleeve (ground) connection?, the advantage of that is that the contacts are less likely to go lose over time, so there'll be less crackling noises, and no signal drop-outs, I don't know why all electric guitar come with these fitted as standard, I'll definitely be ordering more of these from Stewmac in future, oh by the way....everything is working perfectly first time on my Mexican Tele, the tone even seems to sound better too.

Here's a link to a quick audio demo of my Mexican Tele I uploaded to my soundcloud account:

https://soundcloud.com/drnomis_44/mexican-tele-demo

Nice demo Doc. love the sound of that neck pup. I hear the faint calling of a spring reverb....
    Build #1 - ST-1 - Completed
    Build #2 - LP-1SS - Completed
    Build #3 - TLA-1R - Completed
    Build #4 - SGD-612 - Completed
    Build #5 - ES-1G - Completed
    Build #6 - STA-1HT | Completed
    Build #7 - ST1JR - Completed
    Current Build #8 - JBA-4
    Build #9 - Semi-scratch build Tele x 2 - Completed
    Current Build #10 - PRS-1H
    Current Build #11 - AGJR-1 - Completed
    Current Build #12 - ATL-1SB
    Current Build #13 - GST-1
    Current Build #14 - FBM-1

Quote Originally Posted by Andy40 View Post
    Nice demo Doc. love the sound of that neck pup. I hear the faint calling of a spring reverb....
    Yeah the amp simulator vst plugin I used, Frontman FM-25, has a spring-reverb effect built in, sounds cool so I cranked it up a bit when I recorded the demo, I'm a big fan of the neck pickup tone I'm getting with the stock pickups on the Mexican Tele, nice and Bluesy, the other pickup combinations produce nice tones too, but the star of the show is the neck pickup for sure.

10. Liked by: wazkelly

Nice playing and sound demo, Doc.

Two sets of Fender standard tuners arrived in the post today, I had ordered them from The Stratosphere, the tuners on my Fender Strat were getting a bit worn out so I decided to order two new sets a few weeks ago, the new set of Fender standard tuners I put on my Mexican Telecaster seem to be doing the job well, making the guitar relatively easy to keep in tune, I'm out of strings at the moment so I'll have to buy some new ones next week to get the Strat up and running again.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast