Thread: Pickups on strat...

Pickups on strat...

I have a Warmoth Strat body and neck that I bought in the late 80s when I lived near their factory that I have never done anything with it.

I am not that much of a guitar player and have never quite figured out how to configure this thing. It's routed for HSS, but with my eBay cheapo pickguard it would need a little routing. SSS works fine.

The thing is, that I don't really think I want it to sound like a Strat. I tend toward blues or rock in my playing. I am not opposed to routing...but for what?

I thought about GFS lil killers or some other humbucker in strat size. Could go with P90s...but that might be a lot like a hotter version of the DeArmonds in my only other electric. Could go for full sized humbuckers? Or a Tele in the bridge with a P90 or humbucker in the neck?

Players I like tend to use something close to a PAF, P90 or Tele with something beefier in the neck.

So is there pups I can use without routing? What would you do if you were me?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Theres quite a few options with the Humbucker singles to avoid routing but would depend on what you want to spend.
    Seymour Duncan do a few ( only using SD as example as haven't familiarized with other brands)
    For the billy gibbons texas tone
    https://www.seymourduncan.com/pickup/red-devil-set

You can also look at the quarter pounder style strat pickups for neck and middle and a humbucker single like a screaming Demon for Bridge or go rails for a bit more grunt.
    Tony

I have a super-strat project bubbling under presently, too, and I have decided to go for a humbucker sized P90 at the bridge, a stacked humbucker/rail in the middle and a slightly hotter-than-usual single coil strat neck pickup for a myriad of sounds on 1 platform. It may well turn out to be pants, but I figure it's worth a go, just for the lols!
    Converting from a Kahler Flyer to a hard tail is going to be the hard part....
    "If it's Blues music in a bar and it helps people swallow their drink of choice, or it's a dance song and people get up off their chairs and shuffle their feet, or it's a Jazz tune and the Chardonnay tastes so much better... then it's all good."

- Marcel

Those Billy Gibbons are really cool, but I couldn't find them for under US$300...

After much thinking, listening on YouTube, rethinking, overthinking and second guessing... I saw a set of GFS lil punchers NOS on eBay. I put in a bid on a whim and for around US$30 with shipping I now own them. They're Tele drop-ins. I think they'll fit the routs in my strat body, although I may need to modify the pickguard a little for the bridge pup.

So...if I put a middle pup in what should it be. Body is routed for a strat mid...feels sort of like I should use it...

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk