Thread: Jim Dunlop JD-F2 Germanium to Silicon BC108C transistor conversion.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Jim Dunlop JD-F2 Germanium to Silicon BC108C transistor conversion.

Hey Everyone,

Recently, my red Jim Dunlop JD-F2 Fuzz Face died and stopped working while I was in the process of doing some re-organizing of my pedal board so I could add my Boss MT-2 Metalzone pedal, well, my red Fuzz Face pedal actually didn't just suddenly stop working, it started oscillating and then stopped working, so seeing as I had been looking for a good excuse to convert it over to silicon BC108C transistors from the stock NTE 158 Germanium ones, I decided to go ahead and remove the stock circuit board and replace it with one that happened to have two BC108C silicon transistors soldered onto it.

It's a well-known fact that Germanium transistors are temperature-sensitive, and, while the stock JD-F2 circuit board does incorporate a board-mounted thermistor as a way of mitigating any temperature effects, I decided to just cut-to-the-chase and do the conversion to silicon transistors since they are far-less temperature sensitive.

The replacement Fuzz Face circuit board I used was one that came as part of a kit of parts I had ordered from a company in England, called Pigeon FX....if my memory serves me right.

I'll post a pic of the insides of my red Jim Dunlop JD-F2 Fuzz Face, which I took after the conversion had been done, and I'll also post a link to a demo I uploaded to my soundcloud account, so you can hear what it sounds like.

Here we go:

Insides of the red JD-F2 Fuzz Face after the conversion to BC108C silicon transistors.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Red Fuzz Face 1_resized.jpg 
Views:	739 
Size:	221.6 KB 
ID:	30029

And a close-up pic of the replacement circuit board.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Red Fuzz Face 2_resized.jpg 
Views:	551 
Size:	162.9 KB 
ID:	30030

The two silver things with three legs are the two BC108C silicon transistors.

And here's a link to the demo I uploaded to my soundcloud account:

https://soundcloud.com/drnomis_44/re...DJu00W1fAYuF_4

Here's a link to the Pigeon FX website if you're interested in ordering some circuit board kits from them:

https://pigeonfx.com/

Note that the circuit board kit pricing is in English pounds, so you might need to open an account with paypal.
    Last edited by DrNomis_44; 11-02-2019 at 01:05 PM.