Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My first pitbull guitars build, GR1-SF

My first pitbull guitars build, GR1-SF

So, this arrived in the mail a few days ago:

The body is made out of mahogany, the neck is maple and the fret board is engineered rosewood. The gold hardware was a surprise I did not expect as I ordered the kit with chrome. Pitbull offered to send me a replacement but I figured I might as well use the gold hardware and save us both the trouble.

The plan for this kit is a sparkle finish, I'm currently thinking red but that might change after a test piece. Otherwise it'll pretty much stay stock for the time being, apart from a bone nut that I ordered with the kit.

However first things first, I will be doing a full mock build this Saturday to check the hardware and all measurements and if time allows I might start leveling and crowning the frets.

Looks great and sounds very similar to my build. Welcome!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome Ruben. Enjoy the build.
    Current:
    GTH-1

Completed:
    AST-1FB
    First Act ME276 (resurrected curb-side find)
    ES-5V
    Scratchie lapsteel
    Custom ST-1 12 String
    JBA-4
    TL-1TB
    Scratch Lapsteel
    Meinl DIY Cajon
    Cigar Box lap steel

Wishing:
    Baritone
    Open D/Standard Double 6 twin neck

Welcome Ruben. I like this mahogany kit, very nice indeed!
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Welcome Ruben, good luck with the first.
    Build-1 ES-3 June 2016 GOTM.
    Build-2 IB-1S
    Build-3. ES-12G June 2019 GOTM.
    Build-4 Gene Simmons axe bass. 43 year project done.
    Build-5. TL-1S May 2021 GOTM joint winner.

Nice dude nice!
    Build #1 - ST-1 - Completed
    Build #2 - LP-1SS - Completed
    Build #3 - TLA-1R - Completed
    Build #4 - SGD-612 - Completed
    Build #5 - ES-1G - Completed
    Build #6 - STA-1HT | Completed
    Build #7 - ST1JR - Completed
    Current Build #8 - JBA-4
    Build #9 - Semi-scratch build Tele x 2 - Completed
    Current Build #10 - PRS-1H
    Current Build #11 - AGJR-1 - Completed
    Current Build #12 - ATL-1SB
    Current Build #13 - GST-1
    Current Build #14 - FBM-1

Quick update on the build. Yesterday I did the mock build and noticed a few things.
    1. The bridge pickup did not fit properly, but that should be a simple fix.
    2. Measuring the tailpiece is rather difficult if you don't have a long straight edge. So I decided to go to the shop and get my hands on some tools, namely the parts to build a notched straight edge, sanding beam and a long ruler.
    3. I'm still in doubt about the finish, I like the look of the mahogany so I might go with a semi transparant red paint rather than the sparkle I mentioned earlier, this depends on what my tests will look like.

The plan for next week: Measure and drill the tailpiece and start leveling and crowning the fret board.

Quote Originally Posted by RubenT View Post
    Quick update on the build. Yesterday I did the mock build and noticed a few things.
    1. The bridge pickup did not fit properly, but that should be a simple fix.
    2. Measuring the tailpiece is rather difficult if you don't have a long straight edge. So I decided to go to the shop and get my hands on some tools, namely the parts to build a notched straight edge, sanding beam and a long ruler.
    3. I'm still in doubt about the finish, I like the look of the mahogany so I might go with a semi transparant red paint rather than the sparkle I mentioned earlier, this depends on what my tests will look like.

The plan for next week: Measure and drill the tailpiece and start leveling and crowning the fret board.
    Tailpiece measurement is easier with a bit of string or cotton. (I’m
    Building the same kit) fit your tuning pegs and wrap the string around one. Then you can pull it from the peg around the back of the headstock and runnit down the length of the fret board. With a piece of masking tape secur it where you think the screw of the bigsby would go and then measure the neck and anywhere else you can to see if it’s centred. I was surprised that mine ended up bang on where the two bits of veneer met.

Quote Originally Posted by BuffaloGhost View Post
    Tailpiece measurement is easier with a bit of string or cotton. (I’m
    Building the same kit) fit your tuning pegs and wrap the string around one. Then you can pull it from the peg around the back of the headstock and runnit down the length of the fret board. With a piece of masking tape secur it where you think the screw of the bigsby would go and then measure the neck and anywhere else you can to see if it’s centred. I was surprised that mine ended up bang on where the two bits of veneer met.

Would you do this before or after glueing the neck? And would you do that before or after finishing the guitar?
    I recall it being wise to do the drilling before finishing the guitar, however using a cotton string when the neck is not glued in place seems kind of hard since in would have to clamp the neck to stay in place. I mostly see that being done with an F-clamp in the middle of the fretboard.
    Build #1: Non-PBG single cut guitar finished
    Build #2: GR1-SF In progress

Quote Originally Posted by RubenT View Post
    Would you do this before or after glueing the neck? And would you do that before or after finishing the guitar?
    I recall it being wise to do the drilling before finishing the guitar, however using a cotton string when the neck is not glued in place seems kind of hard since in would have to clamp the neck to stay in place. I mostly see that being done with an F-clamp in the middle of the fretboard.
    Ooh I had this debate in my head for days! My neck fit was really good so this helped. I was able to push it in quite firm all the way to the base and measure without clamping.. however you are right

I wasn't still happy that it hadn't moved a mm..

So after some debate over access for wiring etc and the painting process I went in a glued the neck straight in. i'm sure others will disagree and give you some other options too. But I thought the extra time taking to mask up for painting. (Im doing stained sides and back and a flake top was worth it to make sure everything was marked correctly prior to paint.

Good luck dude.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast