Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: My first pitbull guitars build, GR1-SF

Mate i think the red sparkle would be gorgeous it will give it a real Gretsch vibe!

So, today I finally had time to start working on the guitar. First things first, since it's a mahogany body I need to grain fill the wood. I decided to go with a water based grain filler. Thinned it down to a liquid consistency and applied it using shop towel. The picture was taken just after applying the first coat to the top. I'm writing this post really quickly while the rest of the filler dries since I won't have time to write a post tonight, next up sanding and doing it once more.

Build #1: Non-PBG single cut guitar finished
    Build #2: GR1-SF In progress

Just be very careful sanding. It's ply, and the layers are pretty thin. It doesn't take too much sanding to get down to the glue layer and then the ply underneath (which runs cross-grain). So nothing too coarse and don't press too hard.

Yep. Especially the top! That veneer is like tissue!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, I guess I'll file this under live and learn.

Took out the body today for a second coat of grain filler and it looks like I sanded through the top veneer in one spot. I guess 320 grit was not fine enough, so I'll have to pick up something finer later today.

Next I brushed on a second coat of grain filler, this time a much thinner coat than on my first attempt since I basically had to sand it all off. I will probably head over to the local hardware store after lunch and get myself some really fine sandpaper. After sanding I'll have to bite the bullet and decide on the finish. I'm still very much in doubt about the front, trying to decide between a sparkle or just a tinted clear coat.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    I'm not sure. It could be a glue spot.
    Upon further inspection it did indeed seem like I did not go al the way through. The mahogany grain is still visible through this spot. I added a second coat of grain filler and sanded it back again

This afternoon I continued work on the kit. I sanded the second coat of grain filler with 320 grit again, taking care to apply pressure over a decent sized area. I had some trouble with the carved top tough. I used an old sanding sponge as a block, however it was quite stiff and due to that it was hard to sand in the spots where the body carved. As a result I had to sand those spots without the block, which was a pain. The 3M sandpaper I'm using is awesome, however it is really flexible causing it to be quite hard to sand without something like a block behind it.

Next thing to figure out: Should I do an oil finish or something like a semi-transparant cherry red paint job. I'm afraid sparkle is going to be to difficult for me on this kit. I'll probably try to use glitter when I refinish my first kit or my cheap bass guitar.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2