Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Yamaha S-50A I found this at lifeline today

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar

Yamaha S-50A I found this at lifeline today

I saw this in the op shop today and while it was a bit overpriced for an old acoustic, I couldn't leave it.

I knew right away it was vintage, so nice for a wall hanging if nothing else. I've done a bit of googling and its pretty interesting.

Steel string folk guitar from 1969-1972. Sort of rare.

Apparent specs

BODY: Katsura-wood- back and sides, Yamaha has used Katsura-woods- in its acoustic and classical guitar designs. The wood gives a beautiful finish to the instrument, and provides a rich tone.
    Ivoroid body binding
    NECK: Nato wood
    Finger-board: Bubinga? with pearl dot inlay? TOP: Solid :?SPRUCE
    Frets: Nickel-19 ?Access to 12
    Vintage 42 mm bone nut

I'm seeing them from around $250-$600 online which is surprising....then there is this one

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthoped...itar-245127283

Sale Price: $3,650.00 $3,450.00 !!!

That cannot be right.

Anyone familiar with them? Anyone interested in it? I don't have much call for an acoustic so I'm open to moving it on.

Some pics - can post more if people are keen.

Build 1 - Shoegazer MK1 JMA-1
    Build 2 - The Relliecaster TL-1
    Build 3 - The Black Cherry SG AG-1
    Build 4 - The Sonicaster TL-1ish
    Build 5 - The Steampunker Bass YB-4
    Build 6 - The Howling Gowing ST-1

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"

Wow, what a find. It should sound really sweet with a new set of strings.

Not in the market but reckon anyone would be happy to own it. Similar tuners to a yammy 12 string I owned from around 1979 and are the only negative aspect as they were a bit fiddly for a steel string and looked more at home on a classical.
    # 1 - EX-5 https://goo.gl/fQJMqh
    # 2 - EX-1 https://goo.gl/KSY9W9
    # 3 - Non PBG Tele https://goo.gl/W14G5g
    # 4 - Non PBG J Bass https://goo.gl/FbBaFy
    # 5 - TL-1AR GOTM Aug 2017 https://goo.gl/sUh14s
    # 6 - MMB-4 Runner-up GOTM Oct 2018https://goo.gl/gvrPkp
    # 7 - ES-1 Runner-up GOTM Aug 2018https://goo.gl/T9BEY8

Very nice. I'd keep it as at some point you'll want one and you'd probably have to pay a lot more for one that sounded as good. It looks like it's got a solid top at least. Can you check that by looking at the soundhole and seeing if the grain runs from front to back?

Does it have a truss rod? It will be under the front of the soundhole if it has one. Have you measured the scale length?

I'd say anything up to AU$600 for a very good condition one. The only one I could find that sold on eBay in the UK went for £57, about AU$100. Others, just called S-50, went for similar amounts, through many had been re-strung with nylon strings.

1967, when the S-50A was introduced, was the year when Yamaha first started making classical guitars, having trained up a team of craftsmen under a Spanish master luthier. These were high-end guitars, all handmade, and were (and still are) correspondingly expensive.

The high price given in that Worthpoint listing appears to refer to a classical guitar with nylon strings, not steel, so probably refers to a Yamaha classical guitar, though if said guitar had a 'laminated spruce top' as stated, it certainly would be a bottom of range guitar and wouldn't be worth much. So I'd ignore it.

I once bought a book on the history of Yamaha guitars, but it was basically just an advert for Yamaha guitars with very little info on the old ones, so I threw it away in annoyance.

Their first steel-string acoustic, the FG-180, came out the year before the S-50A, so acoustic guitars in general were new to Yamaha at the time.

I can find very little info on the S-50A, but it is obviously influenced by classical design in body shape, size and construction. It might be worth putting a phone inside and taking a pic of the bracing pattern used, and see whether that is a classical or acoustic style. There are obvious steel-string modifications, like the steel string posts and a slightly narrower neck. The bridge obviously has a screw or bolt through it to help keep it attached. But otherwise it's certainly a classical bridge, with a straight saddle, so it won't intonate very well. The bridge doesn't have the inlay around the tie-over part that their classical guitars had, so again looks to be more suited to ball ends than classical strings, where lack of binding can cause the strings to wear notches in the bridge.

If you were a lot more local, I'd take it off your hands, but distance and CITES really prohibits it.

Hey Thanks Simon, I figured you’d be the one with any extra info. I’ll grab some more pics when I head out to the shed and see if I can answer some of your questions.

Nice nab, looking at the nut the size of the E1 & B slots suggests that it may have been a nylon string guitar.

It was strung with ancient steels and the 'S' denotes that is was a steel string. The nylon version is the G-50A and they are a lot more common. These were only made for a couple of years from what I can gather. I'd say Simon's assessment is correct there.

On to Simons Q's.

No truss rod, or at least no way to adjust it. Neck is pretty straight, but it does have that normal steel string bulge happening around the bridge. The bridge isn't lifting and it's not the worst I've ever seen/played. I've taken the strings off it for now. Is there any way to improve that without dismantling the guitar? I guess it was a pretty playable action,but could be better.

Scale length is 645mm to the high e saddle, so ~ 25.5"

Top appears to be solid, the same grain is visible underneath. Some pics at the end of this post showing the general condition. I haven't done any cleaning apart from wiping some dust off it, but overall the varnish is in good nick, a few bumps and scratches, but they are all quite light. You can see pick wear on the front of the guitar which is the worst damage, but totally in keeping with a vintage instrument.

Grain under the top

Interior looking at the top

Interior back

Fret board

Nut - the steel strings on it were very heavy at least 11's I reckon

back of the guitar - trying to sow the grain hidden under the marks and grime.

Front

Pick wear and the worst scratch

Bad photo of the sound hole label

Last edited by Sonic Mountain; 30-01-2019 at 05:08 AM.

I’d be tempted to clean it all up and Pop a set of nylon strings on it and see how it goes.
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

8. Liked by: dave.king1

If you do, I'd suggest D'Addario folk nylon strings as they have ball ends. Otherwise if you try steel strings, I wouldn't go higher than .010"s at first and see how it behaves. The bracing for the top looks very minimal to me, neither classical nor steel acoustic style, so I wouldn't stress it too much.

The fretboard could certainly benefit from some lemon oil and the frets definitely need some cleaning and polishing!

The saddle is probably a replacement, as the original would have run the full length of the saddle slot. It looks like there's enough height in the saddle to shave some of the wood down in the slot area, so that you can then sand the saddle down a bit as well to lower the string height. The nut slots could probably be lowered a bit as well. If it were mine, I'd replace the saddle and nut with bone replacements as the saddle is notched and the nut slots are rather wide on the top strings.

The top does look solid to me, though the back (and so almost certainly the sides) looks like a laminate - which is fine.

A run over with some Meguiars should get the dirt off and maybe some of the surface scratches.

I'd unscrew the tuners in order to clean them up better.

It could be a very nice sounding guitar!

Quote Originally Posted by dave.king1 View Post
    Nice nab, looking at the nut the size of the E1 & B slots suggests that it may have been a nylon string guitar.
    I’d have to agree. Or someone converted it to a nylon string at some stage. Is the fretboard flat, or radiused?
    Current:
    GTH-1

Completed:
    AST-1FB
    First Act ME276 (resurrected curb-side find)
    ES-5V
    Scratchie lapsteel
    Custom ST-1 12 String
    JBA-4
    TL-1TB
    Scratch Lapsteel
    Meinl DIY Cajon
    Cigar Box lap steel

Wishing:
    Baritone
    Open D/Standard Double 6 twin neck

Looks very flat to me from the pics, otherwise a very large radius indeed. A very classical trait. The board running right up to the soundhole is also typically classical.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast