Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Yamaha S-50A I found this at lifeline today

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar
    Yes the fret board is very flat and to look at you would definitely assume its a nylon string classical guitar. Actually in my research I've found a couple of different forum discussions regarding this. As Simon mentioned above they only started making steel string instruments the year before this model came out, so perhaps they were still finding their way.This model was also very short lived and obviously the FG's are much more in line with what you would expect from a steel string acoustic.

I think they looked at their classical acoustic and said, "wonder if that would work as a steel string with some minor mods?" The G-50A is the nylon equivalent.

It is a difficult guitar to properly research as there isn't a lot of definitive information, so a lot of the info is second hand.

This guy seemed to know his Yamahas on one of the forums I read through:

"The Yamaha S50A is a Steel string folk guitar which is often mistaken for a classical guitar, putting nylon strings on it is a big mistake, it was not made in 1961 as someone on here claimed by it's serial number, it was infact made between 1969 and 1972 as Yamaha didn't start making guitars with the tuning fork logo on the head stock until mid '69. This model is quite rare, I have one here and the sound.."magic" For a mint condition one you shouldn't accept less than $600 US, for a rough one you should still be asking atleast 250 bucks as age only makes these guitars sound better no matter how rough they might look. I also agree with someone else's comment on here that Yamaha do need to get off thier asses and make us a list as everything currently available is useless. Hope this was of some help, thanks- Wade"

I've given this one a light clean and put a low 'e' string on it. The action is pretty high for my tastes, but it does play clearly and ring out nicely. I'll get a full set of nylons and see how that goes, I'm wary of the amount strain steels would put on it. Shame there isn't an easy way to adjust the string height- I don't really want to pull it apart too much. I'll post some more pics later on of where its at.
    Build 1 - Shoegazer MK1 JMA-1
    Build 2 - The Relliecaster TL-1
    Build 3 - The Black Cherry SG AG-1
    Build 4 - The Sonicaster TL-1ish
    Build 5 - The Steampunker Bass YB-4
    Build 6 - The Howling Gowing ST-1

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"

Oh interestingly the saddle is actually round! While it is a bit short in the bridge, it does look like that's what the bridge is set up to accept. Again, I'll post some more pics later after I've done all my saturday morning jobs.

Neck

Tuners lightly cleaned up

Action you could fly a plane under

The bridge/belly bulge is not what I would call significant. Perhaps I should lower the saddle slot a bit?

Maybe you already mentioned this, but is the neck straight? That photo makes it look like it twists towards the treble side a bit.
    Current:
    GTH-1

Completed:
    AST-1FB
    First Act ME276 (resurrected curb-side find)
    ES-5V
    Scratchie lapsteel
    Custom ST-1 12 String
    JBA-4
    TL-1TB
    Scratch Lapsteel
    Meinl DIY Cajon
    Cigar Box lap steel

Wishing:
    Baritone
    Open D/Standard Double 6 twin neck

Hi Friends
    Nice to see other S-50A owners discuss this nice guitar.

I also own this model. Bought it in Italy in 2004 in very good condition, and it was sitting quietly in storage till corona came and motivated me to start learning guitar.
    Based on the photos you posted, my guitar looks identical, so it was interesting to learn new information about it.

Since I’m new to guitars and music playing, I wanted to know if you found this guitar to be laminate or solid?
    I tried to follow YouTube instructions on how to distinguish between the two build types, but I’m still not sure if my observation is correct.
    Hope someone can clear the fog

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1836.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	703.5 KB 
ID:	39384

Name:	IMG_1837.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	667.2 KB 
ID:	39385

Name:	IMG_1838.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	592.4 KB 
ID:	39386

Name:	IMG_1839.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	131.2 KB 
ID:	39387

Name:	IMG_1840.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	810.3 KB 
ID:	39388
    Last edited by mjeshurun; 25-02-2021 at 06:45 PM.

Some more photos

Name:	IMG_1841.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	803.9 KB 
ID:	39389

Name:	IMG_1842.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	719.8 KB 
ID:	39390

Name:	IMG_1843.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	767.7 KB 
ID:	39391
    Last edited by mjeshurun; 25-02-2021 at 06:48 PM.

I found this thread while searching for some info on my Yamaha S-50A, which I bought 2nd hand in the late 1970s.

Even though the thread a little old, I thought it be best to clarify the top - it's a laminate - not a solid top. The grain is interrupted around the sound-hole where the laminates meet. There is no truss rod.

That said it holds tune well and plays well. Being a ply top the sound is OK but not "beautiful".

The content of the thread confirms what I was led to believe about it way back when - basically a nylon classical guitar design, though with a narrower neck, supplied with steel strings and a different model number. Maybe the bracing is different - I wouldn't know. - My guitar has a few wear and tear marks - and the first and second frets show indentation wear on the 2nd and 3rd strings.

I looked it up as I was thinking of letting it go - just bought another (guitar) and the rule is - one in, one out.

If you've got an inspection mirror you should be able to put it inside and see what the bracing pattern is like. Classical guitars tend to have bracing running across the guitar either side of the soundhole, and then more bracing in a fan pattern spreading out from the soundhole on the rear of the top, roughly with the centreline of the guitar, something like this:

Name:	fan-bracing-guitar-from-spain-1.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	254.1 KB 
ID:	43212

Steel string acoustic guitars generally follow an X-bracing system, which provide more structural support for the top.

Name:	Steel_string_guitar_X-bracing_system2.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	21.2 KB 
ID:	43213

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2