Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: First Build (finally) IB-5

First Build (finally) IB-5

Hey all,
    I got the IB-5 kit a year ago, and didnt manage to do anything with it till now.
    I've checked out all the parts (going all stock kit parts, at least at this stage), and have the following thoughts for the build:

- The ash body has a really nice grain, so I want to do a stain to keep it visible. Thinking of trans black. Will likely keep the neck natural with a clear finish

Reading over some other IB-5 build diaries, I have a few similar issues:
    - The hole for the jack is too narrow so the jack only goes in about a quarter length before getting stuck. Will have to enlarge it
    - Due to the contours on the body, the jack wont be flush against the body. So will consider creating an inset for it
    - The cover for the control panel sits on top of the body, and would look better with an inset and flush finish to the body
    - the pot knobs sit a little high over the body. Saw someone use a plastic washer to bring the knobs back to the body.

Looking forward to seeing it come together.

Keen to see what direction you go with your IB-5 build, I just received my fretless neck and body kit a few weeks ago (didn't order stock hardware)... felt like the longest 6 months of my life!

Saw your thread, you've got some good ideas running there
    So I went ahead and drilled fixings for the neck and bridge. Managed to screw both of them first time (it's my first build). The neck I was only 1mm off and similar with the bridge. So I filled each with dowel, predrilled and got the right positions. The bridge I measured and checked a dozen times as it seemed to close to the pots, but with the 5th and 1st strings on I was sure I had the right spot.

Next step will be enlarging and creating an inset for the jack, followed by an inset for the control panel plate.

I've researched different guitar pups in the past, but not much experience with bass pups. Anyone think it's worth an upgrade?
    Same question applies to the bridge and tuning heads...what do upgrades there actually do for the performance of the bass?

When you get a chance, it would be good to see what your doing with the jack input. Chances are I may have the same issue but I don't have the hardware on hand to confirm it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty C View Post
    Saw your thread, you've got some good ideas running there
    So I went ahead and drilled fixings for the neck and bridge. Managed to screw both of them first time (it's my first build). The neck I was only 1mm off and similar with the bridge. So I filled each with dowel, predrilled and got the right positions. The bridge I measured and checked a dozen times as it seemed to close to the pots, but with the 5th and 1st strings on I was sure I had the right spot.

Next step will be enlarging and creating an inset for the jack, followed by an inset for the control panel plate.

I've researched different guitar pups in the past, but not much experience with bass pups. Anyone think it's worth an upgrade?
    Same question applies to the bridge and tuning heads...what do upgrades there actually do for the performance of the bass?
    most of the kits come with reasonable gear. I’ve an SV-1 that screams with its kit electrics and pickups, so I’d be building it with the kit stuff as upgrades can happen later, if they are even necessary.
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Good to hear on the parts selection, that's the way I'm headed. I wont upgrade without a grounds for comparison, and want to know how the stock gear performs.

Gauge - will do.

I got to working on the hole and recess for the jack.
    After using a round file on the predrilled hole, realised the angle of the hole wasn't very straight (the jack only sat on one side of the 'four sides of the hole'.
    So filed a bit more to get it as even as possible and ended up with this.

For recessing I was concerned as the curve on the top of the body is shallower, so there would be more cut away there.
    I drilled down a short way using a spade bit. I should have stopped there but thought it could use more. So I ended up with a hole much deeper than planned.
    Then I see the sanding drum bits on my dremel to round off the edges of the hole. And of course lots of sanding by hand to smooth out further.
    End result was this

End result was a mixed bag. I had this idea in mind, I just went too deep so it looks like pac man has taken a bite out of the body.
    Recessing back cover up next
    Last edited by Marty C; 03-02-2019 at 04:22 PM.

Hey mate, not sure what happened but I can't see the photos you attached

Just edited using imgur links

10. Liked by: gauge105

I’ve had a crack at similar recessing on a couple of bodies now, and the next time I have to do it, I’ll be setting up in a drill press to get it all bang on centre, somewhat like these knob recesses:

I tried to eyeball it, made up jigs and tried a couple of different file and or sander drum options but the centrality was always an issue. I do quite like the deep recess and the shaping you’ve done though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast