Thread: Dingotone drying time issues

Dingotone drying time issues

i'm doing an uluru red Dingotone stain on a flame maple tele body and did three thin-ish coats total of stain, letting it fully dry between coats, and then did a fourth coat and did it a little bit heavier and finished the rest of the stain bottle. that was over two weeks ago now and it's STILL not dry yet, which i think is weird seeing as the weather has been 35-45 degrees and low humidity. anyone else had problems with dingotone drying time?

Hi JKB. I'm having the same issues as well unfortunately. for some reason its a really long drying time at the moment. Usually, I get each coat not only dry, but cured as well in about a week between each coat. Usually stain coats dry quicker than intensifying coats.

Dingotone is an oil based stain with no chemical driers, so with each coat the wood gets more saturated. I've got to say, I've never finished a whole stain bottle on one guitar so maybe the heavier coats will take a long time to dry.

With Dingotone, its really important to be as patient as possible, its still a short time given that you'll be looking at the finish forever.

Good luck mate
    Build #1 - ST-1 - Completed
    Build #2 - LP-1SS - Completed
    Build #3 - TLA-1R - Completed
    Build #4 - SGD-612 - Completed
    Build #5 - ES-1G - Completed
    Build #6 - STA-1HT | Completed
    Build #7 - ST1JR - Completed
    Current Build #8 - JBA-4
    Build #9 - Semi-scratch build Tele x 2 - Completed
    Current Build #10 - PRS-1H
    Current Build #11 - AGJR-1 - Completed
    Current Build #12 - ATL-1SB
    Current Build #13 - GST-1
    Current Build #14 - FBM-1

I found that thin coats was key for DT. Especially the more coats that are on. I think if you want to put a heavier coat on you need to do that first, let it dry and then carry on with thinner coats. A whole bottle of stain does seem quite a lot given you had only applied 3 coats prior to the last one where you finished the bottle.

Have you tired blowing a fan over it for a solid period of time? I had mine hanging in the bathroom with a pedestal fan blowing over it for a few nights to get the airflow going.

Best of luck!

Taking ages to dry at the moment here in NSW, humidity is horrid, basically has been since Christmas. Its probably been 4 weeks for me and it still feels ever so slightly sticky. Teaches you patience if nothing else.
    #1 LP1-SS
    #2 Non PB Vintage Strat Rebuild
    #3 TL1 - Custom
    #4 ES-12G (now converted to ES-1)
    #5 RC4
    #6 STA-1HT
    #7 Non PB 52 Tele replica
    #8 Coming Soon: 1970's Japanese Les Paul Special Resto.

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

according to cheap ebay thermometer, the humidity has been swinging from 10%-40% too so i realise the higher humidity days may come in to play with drying time. the guitar has been hanging in the garage, which has been nice and hot & dry. hoping i can keep my patience

just a little longer now!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bakersdozen View Post
    Also, dare I say it, a good chance to work on tandem builds
    exactly, just finished an RC4 that came at Christmas, reworking my ES12 into a six string and got a scratch body I'm attempting, so happy to let it sit.
    #1 LP1-SS
    #2 Non PB Vintage Strat Rebuild
    #3 TL1 - Custom
    #4 ES-12G (now converted to ES-1)
    #5 RC4
    #6 STA-1HT
    #7 Non PB 52 Tele replica
    #8 Coming Soon: 1970's Japanese Les Paul Special Resto.

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Hi JKB5. Dingotone has no chemical drying agents, which are generally toxic, so it is not uncommon for it to take weeks for coats to dry. Especially when there are thicker coats. Unfortunately there is nothing you can really do it speed it up. You just have to be patient.
    Current:
    GTH-1

Completed:
    AST-1FB
    First Act ME276 (resurrected curb-side find)
    ES-5V
    Scratchie lapsteel
    Custom ST-1 12 String
    JBA-4
    TL-1TB
    Scratch Lapsteel
    Meinl DIY Cajon
    Cigar Box lap steel

Wishing:
    Baritone
    Open D/Standard Double 6 twin neck