Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Sam’s Goldtop

Would you mind sharing details on brand of vinyl wrap that you used? The closest looking one I’ve found is an Avery Dennison one.

Quote Originally Posted by Bakersdozen View Post
    May not be what you are wanting to do, but here is a goldtop conversion I just finished off. I used gold metallic vinyl wrap.Attachment 34873

Quote Originally Posted by fraserwrightau View Post
    Would you mind sharing details on brand of vinyl wrap that you used? The closest looking one I’ve found is an Avery Dennison one.
    Hey Fraser, yep it's the AD stuff. Easy to work with and good customer support from Graphic Art Mart.

Couple of updates from the weekend. A glamour shot of the plugged & redrilled bridge post holes:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1457.JPG 
Views:	86 
Size:	270.3 KB 
ID:	41676

And the relocated bridge tone pot

Name:	IMG_1458.JPG 
Views:	91 
Size:	177.0 KB 
ID:	41677

Bridge ground wire is in.

Name:	IMG_1459.JPG 
Views:	89 
Size:	220.0 KB 
ID:	41678

And I drifted in the vintage-spec extra long steel anchors. First bit of hardware attached, I’m unreasonably excited by this.

Name:	IMG_1460.JPG 
Views:	92 
Size:	228.6 KB 
ID:	41679

Some more masking and the first light coat of primer. From my test sprays with the Rustoleum metallic it shows every surface imperfection so there’s a lot of work to do here - eg the mark between the pickup routs where I dropped something on it.

Name:	IMG_1468.JPG 
Views:	92 
Size:	195.3 KB 
ID:	41680

4. Liked by: OliSam

So spraying metallic out of a rattle can has knobs on it. I've probably done about 30 coats all up, with substantial rubbing back on several occasions. The best technique I found was basically multiple light mist coats applied a few minutes apart in a single swirly pass as the bugger likes to spatter at inopportune moments.

Name:	IMG_1917.JPG 
Views:	79 
Size:	484.0 KB 
ID:	42209

My $15 jewellers saw finally arrived from China so next step was cutting the MOP inlay. I looked into the logo font option, I think I saw someone selling one online, but ended up designing it myself in Sketch. If anyone would like a copy of the vector file let me know & I'll post it.

Name:	IMG_1918.JPG 
Views:	74 
Size:	269.1 KB 
ID:	42210

This is time-consuming and is very nerve-wracking/concentration-intensive, probably like being an english batsman at the MCG

Name:	IMG_1919.JPG 
Views:	68 
Size:	333.7 KB 
ID:	42211

Finished product, it’s not perfect but I'm pretty happy with it. Next step routing.

Name:	IMG_1923.JPG 
Views:	73 
Size:	471.9 KB 
ID:	42212

Nice work. Might have to hunt down a cheap jeweller's saw myself...

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

BD - here’s hoping I can argue that MOST of it was done in '21

9. Liked by: Bakersdozen

Quote Originally Posted by dozymuppet View Post
    Nice work. Might have to hunt down a cheap jeweller's saw myself...
    I bought the saw from 'huanshop2015' on ebay, it's not fancy or well constructed but works fine.

11. Liked by: dozymuppet

We English are used to disappointment and despair at our cricket team’s results. It’s the occasional slight glimmer of hope we can’t cope with.

30 coats of paint must have meant quite a few tins of paint. Really worth thinking about investing in a small compressor and a mini-spray gun if you ever do something similar. The chances of getting paint blobs with one are very small indeed compared to using rattle cans.

Nice inlay work!

Setting up for routing with the Dremel attachment. It was less precarious than it looked.

Name:	IMG_1927 2.JPG 
Views:	74 
Size:	455.6 KB 
ID:	42223

The depth limiter on the Dremel router is complete rubbish though, best results were routing it in stages and just locking the bit down a little bit further each time. I gave up on any prospect of a neat fit and just hacked out a 1950s-esque large recess that I'll fill.

Name:	IMG_1928 2.JPG 
Views:	69 
Size:	434.0 KB 
ID:	42224

Removed the plastic nut and found it was glued on harder than it should have been, so I tore a couple of small chunks out of the headstock. I did some repair work/grain-fill with timbermate and stained the mahogany (although I'm going to paint anyway).

Name:	IMG_1931.JPG 
Views:	79 
Size:	359.9 KB 
ID:	42225

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast