Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: Sam’s Goldtop

Rember that the inlay needs to sit slightly proud of the headstock face. You’ll build up thickness with several layers of paint, so if the inlay isn’t proud, it will just get covered over.

Thanks Simon - yes, it’s just higher than the face, I’ve tried to get it pretty close though to minimise the sanding.

5. Liked by: OliSam

Thought I should pop up a glamour shot of the inlay.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1955.JPG 
Views:	85 
Size:	331.4 KB 
ID:	42469

Basically the process has been:

* Glue in the inlay
    * Fill the route - I used a "No More Gaps" style black acrylic filler that I'd had success with on a table top
    * Numerous thick coats of black; I probably went a little over the top as I only had one shot at sanding it back (without getting into masking etc)
    * Carefully sanding back, managed to get the MOP visible without sanding through the black but there were one or two dips in the filler
    * Top coat with poly, sanding flat between coats

For a first effort I'm satisfied with that as a result. There was a slight colour difference between the filler & paint after sanding back but it’s not really noticeable under the clear.

Next step is doing the 'signature' logo in gold - I have a relative with a (large plotter style) vinyl cutter and I'm keen to try the stencil approach, does anyone have tips on how to go about this?

7. Liked by: dozymuppet

Looks ace! I think it's just weed the vinyl in reverse and get lots of copies to practice with. Very sharp blade on the plotter as the signature logo is very thin.

I'd be happy with that! Good job!
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Yes, you've done a great job there.

Even Gibson inlays normally have detectable filler around them. The older the guitar, the more it shows up.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5