Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Starting JMA-6 Baritone Guitar build

Thank you, Scott - you're a lifesaver! (The sign of a true guru is when they can explain things so a newbie can understand.) ..... And yeah, sorry about the mislabelling — that's what happens when you look at something upside down! :-)

I will be interested to see the finished guitar.
    Make sure you post some pics.

Will do, Colin. Will be a week or two away — still doing finishing work on the body. (It's all that waiting 24 hours or so between coats!)

Another newbie question from me — I know it's very basic, but, being a Fender/Ovation owner, I'm not used to these kinds of bridges. I need to install the bridge posts on this baritone (I'm talking about the inserts as circled in this photo) .....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bridge posts.JPG 
Views:	217 
Size:	285.0 KB 
ID:	29874

There are holes pre-drilled in the body to accommodate these, but they're a very snug fit (without any force, the posts would go in about half-way). See next photo .....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bridge post holes.JPG 
Views:	220 
Size:	347.7 KB 
ID:	29875

So, do I push (rubber mallet, maybe?) these in so the top is flush with the body, or am I completely missing the point? Thanks for any help you gurus can give me!

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar
    Yep, just till that lip touches the body usually. Good idea to put them in the freezer for 10 minutes, it makes them easier to tap in then they expand and grab the wood. Not 100% sure on this kit, but often the earth wire needs to be fed into bridge post hole first.
    Build 1 - Shoegazer MK1 JMA-1
    Build 2 - The Relliecaster TL-1
    Build 3 - The Black Cherry SG AG-1
    Build 4 - The Sonicaster TL-1ish
    Build 5 - The Steampunker Bass YB-4
    Build 6 - The Howling Gowing ST-1

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"

Thanks for the prompt reply, and for the advice re the freezer — I wouldn't have thought of that! And yes, you're right about the earth wire, so I'll remember to do that. ..... Incidentally, I notice that you're a fellow-Toowoombaite!

Yeah I just saw that as well. Whereabouts are you?

Happy to came have a look at the wiring if you are still struggling. I'm pretty interested to see how a baritone comes together...

I'm in Harristown - how about you? ..... I think I have the wiring nutted out now (although I'm yet to start it), but thank you, I might take you up on the offer of help if I get stuck. It's been an interesting exercise thus far, and it's great to have forum assistance, because the kit kinda assumes you know it all, and I have this morbid fear of stuffing up irrevocably! Like you, I'm very interested in how the baritone comes together — I already have a fairly nice Danelectro 56 Baritone that I play in real life, so this one is to be more of a "practice" unit that I can leave out to grab at any time. (I prefer to leave my "good" instruments in their cases, but I do find I practice more if I have gear that I can lay hands on at a moment's notice - my wife is soooo impressed that my study is stuffed full of "practice guitars/basses/etc. :-)

Ha hah. Well I moved to this from building cars and my wife is a lot happier having a bunch of guitars lying around than half finished cars

I'm over near Centenary Heights High school - technically South Toowoomba.

You are right, the first build is a bit nerve wracking I was paranoid building my first one that I was going to stuff it up. I've since learned there is almost nothing you can't fix/recover from and there is more than one way to skin the proverbial cat.

Happy to help out if you need it. I work from home so I'm normally around (both IRL and on the forum)

Thanks, mate - talk to you when I've made more progress!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast