Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Finishing the back of the neck

Finishing the back of the neck

Out of curiosity, what are you legends using to finish the back of the neck ? Not the fretboard / fingerboard, the back of the neck so its hardened and smooth and not just oiled wood. I use both Tru Oil on some necks and Scandinavian Oil on others. But not getting the hardened finish I am after. They work better on the bodies instead of the necks, in my experience anyway !

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	49947276_10156584326216690_5598626763828625408_n.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	79.1 KB 
ID:	29738
    Last edited by METAL Rulez 4ever; 16-01-2019 at 07:47 PM.

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar
    At the moment my favourite neck treatment is Cabots Exterior Poly in satin. Very forgiving to spray. I normally do one pass as per instructions let it dry out, sand it back and do another application. It's great for getting a smooth neck that doesn't grab your hand like a gloss one might.
    Build 1 - Shoegazer MK1 JMA-1
    Build 2 - The Relliecaster TL-1
    Build 3 - The Black Cherry SG AG-1
    Build 4 - The Sonicaster TL-1ish
    Build 5 - The Steampunker Bass YB-4
    Build 6 - The Howling Gowing ST-1

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"

I also liked the Tru Oil on the body, but didn’t like it on the neck of my first guitar. I gave the neck some steel wool treatment to make it feel better. On my second guitar I’m using wipe on poly and I liked the feel of it after two coats. Next time I’ll do two wipe on poly coats (satin) and leave it at that.

The last three guitars I finished, I left the necks unfinished and sanded to 2000 grit, and they are absolutely sublime to touch!! Because I'm not playing these out, and because no-one else will ever play them regularly plus the fact that I wipe everything down when I'm done means that they shouldn't get too dirty, and if they do, a quick sanding will set that right very quickly!!
    "If it's Blues music in a bar and it helps people swallow their drink of choice, or it's a dance song and people get up off their chairs and shuffle their feet, or it's a Jazz tune and the Chardonnay tastes so much better... then it's all good."

- Marcel

Quote Originally Posted by corsair View Post
    The last three guitars I finished, I left the necks unfinished and sanded to 2000 grit, and they are absolutely sublime to touch!! Because I'm not playing these out, and because no-one else will ever play them regularly plus the fact that I wipe everything down when I'm done means that they shouldn't get too dirty, and if they do, a quick sanding will set that right very quickly!!
    I did the same on the neck of the FrankenWashie, then hit it dry with some worn micro mesh polishing pads it is silky.
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

ooh glad I saqw this thread. I LOVE the unfinished neck as it feels SOO good but was worried about the dirt. if it turns out ok this axe may gig. I was wondering if i DID stain the neck does the stain grab at all our would you oil over the top..? Id like the neck dark in colour but still as smooooooth

am I asking for the sun?

Quote Originally Posted by BuffaloGhost View Post
    ooh glad I saqw this thread. I LOVE the unfinished neck as it feels SOO good but was worried about the dirt. if it turns out ok this axe may gig. I was wondering if i DID stain the neck does the stain grab at all our would you oil over the top..? Id like the neck dark in colour but still as smooooooth

am I asking for the sun?
    My FrankenWashie doesn’t get gigged (cause I don’t gig!) but it cops a fair bit of play, I make a point of wiping it down it doesn’t seem to gather dirt. I say it doesn’t SEEM to but that’s not to say it wouldn’t if it were regularly gigged.

i ran the micromesh pads right up to 12000, perhaps that helped?
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190112_144617.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	98.3 KB 
ID:	29761 the fretboerd on this has been sanded to 2000 grit and dingo waxed , it feels as nice as any i have just my skillz on the neck are a bit to be desire, but i wonder could you do a whole guitar sanded to 2000 grit or more and just ad some wax to polish, mmm might be worth a try

Dingobass said that he used to sand the back of necks to 1500 (or 2000?) and leave them unfinished (preferred) or dingowax them if there had to be some finish.

I don't. I just tru oil all my necks as I refer it. I can't imagine you would want a harder finish than tru oil?

In saying that, I intend to use dingotone neck finish on my current Jazz bass build.
    Build #1 - ST-1 - Completed
    Build #2 - LP-1SS - Completed
    Build #3 - TLA-1R - Completed
    Build #4 - SGD-612 - Completed
    Build #5 - ES-1G - Completed
    Build #6 - STA-1HT | Completed
    Build #7 - ST1JR - Completed
    Current Build #8 - JBA-4
    Build #9 - Semi-scratch build Tele x 2 - Completed
    Current Build #10 - PRS-1H
    Current Build #11 - AGJR-1 - Completed
    Current Build #12 - ATL-1SB
    Current Build #13 - GST-1
    Current Build #14 - FBM-1

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Barnes View Post
    i wonder could you do a whole guitar sanded to 2000 grit or more and just ad some wax to polish, mmm might be worth a try
    I think thats what Sazzrandom did when she built her GRSF, except she did stain it before waxing.
    Build #1 - ST-1 - Completed
    Build #2 - LP-1SS - Completed
    Build #3 - TLA-1R - Completed
    Build #4 - SGD-612 - Completed
    Build #5 - ES-1G - Completed
    Build #6 - STA-1HT | Completed
    Build #7 - ST1JR - Completed
    Current Build #8 - JBA-4
    Build #9 - Semi-scratch build Tele x 2 - Completed
    Current Build #10 - PRS-1H
    Current Build #11 - AGJR-1 - Completed
    Current Build #12 - ATL-1SB