Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Blend pot...

I think I'll just buy 'em and be done with it, lads, eh!!

So... I need two Emerson 'no load' tone pots, yes? 1 for the blend circuit and one for my new master tone? And a selection of capacitors...

This could be interesting, eh!
    "If it's Blues music in a bar and it helps people swallow their drink of choice, or it's a dance song and people get up off their chairs and shuffle their feet, or it's a Jazz tune and the Chardonnay tastes so much better... then it's all good."

- Marcel

But if you were stuck on a desert island with just an electric guitar, an amp, a generator with fuel for many years, some pliers, a knife some spanners, and you suddenly felt that your sound would benefit from some extra brightness, then you now know what to do!

3. Liked by: corsair

Here's a bit clearer vid.
    https://youtu.be/dN3SlH-cEAg
    Simon, just reading your post, what do you mean about scraping the other side of the track? Obviously not the 0 side, so I'm a little confused.

The way he scraped it in that first video, you'd have to turn the knob to 0 to get no-load brightness, then 1 would be maximum dullness, with normal full brightness at 10. So if you want a more logical 10 for no load brightness, then you'd scrape the other end of the pot track.

It takes a lot of planning to get shipwrecked with all that gear. Still, I was a little surprised to see how cheaply you could get a no-load pot. It makes sense, since they are no harder to manufacture than any other pot. That did not stop the mfgs from charging a premium for them. Must be that they needed to compete with DIY and video such as that, so they brought the price down to where it should be.

Speaking of which... I don't see anything special about the Emerson pots except the stamp on the bottom. The case and what you can see of the wafer looks exactly like a CTS. It's not sealed or anything and uses the same type of carbon-stamp wafer... I would be willing to bet that Emerson just ordered a bunch of them from CTS with the their stamp, the way that Fender has done from time to time. Nothing wrong with that, unless you pay extra for it. They don't even change the font for the Emerson stamp. You can also get a Mojotone that looks just like it.... unless I am missing something here?

BTW, I finally got a good look at Corsair's avatar. Here in Florida people will often put a screen around their pool to keep little kids and cool looking guitars from falling in.

7. Liked by: corsair

As an alternative, you could get that plus all 3 pickups at once doing the 7 Way Wiring Mod. Pretty easy with the addition of a DPDT micro switch.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	maxresdefault.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	40.7 KB 
ID:	29760
    #1 LP1-SS
    #2 Non PB Vintage Strat Rebuild
    #3 TL1 - Custom
    #4 ES-12G (now converted to ES-1)
    #5 RC4
    #6 STA-1HT
    #7 Non PB 52 Tele replica
    #8 Coming Soon: 1970's Japanese Les Paul Special Resto.

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

My ST 12 string has Gibson Explorer III wiring. You need two three way switches instead of the standard 5 way switch, but you can get any pickup combo.

BTW Neck & Bridge is a great sound for a ST, all three pickups at once was kind of underwhelming.
    Current:
    GTH-1

Completed:
    AST-1FB
    First Act ME276 (resurrected curb-side find)
    ES-5V
    Scratchie lapsteel
    Custom ST-1 12 String
    JBA-4
    TL-1TB
    Scratch Lapsteel
    Meinl DIY Cajon
    Cigar Box lap steel

Wishing:
    Baritone
    Open D/Standard Double 6 twin neck

Quote Originally Posted by Fretworn View Post
    BTW Neck & Bridge is a great sound for a ST, all three pickups at once was kind of underwhelming.
    The 'all three pickups on' sound is going to depend a bit on the pickups. On my DG Strat it sounds OK, though it's a bit thinner than the standard honky bridge+mid or mid+neck sounds. Not a tone you'd use a lot, but with the right pickup mix isn't totally unuseable (not that I could say what that mix is). If your mixed positions already sound pretty thin, then 'all pups on' could be too thin to use at all.

But I'd certainly agree than bridge plus neck is a very useable tone. To me, it sounds more like what I expect a Strat neck pickup to sound like, clean and bright, rather than the slightly harsh tone you normally get from one.

Well... with the new set of Toneriders and the blend pot in and running just fine, the guitar is just mega! It has been transformed from a dead thing to something lithe and muscular - that blend circuit is great; I wonder why they don't do that from the factoery, eh?!?

Thanks to Andy and Scott et al. for helping to transform both my 'telecaster' and the strat into useful instruments!

It's not a PBG... does anyone want a look at it?
    "If it's Blues music in a bar and it helps people swallow their drink of choice, or it's a dance song and people get up off their chairs and shuffle their feet, or it's a Jazz tune and the Chardonnay tastes so much better... then it's all good."

- Marcel

Yep I love the blend on my Strat. And having master volume and tone works heaps better for me

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast