Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Vintage-like Fender Headstock and Neck Finish/Stain?

Vintage-like Fender Headstock and Neck Finish/Stain?

Hi All,

I was wondering what would be the best way to achieve a similar stain and finish like vintage fender? i'm looking for a more orange-amber rather than yellow-amber (if that makes any sense at all ) so I'm trying to consider options.
    I'm using a maple neck, it that helps. Any information is appreciated!

Cheers,
    redmanion

So a Dave Gilmour Strat type colour, which is more orange than most vintage finishes?

Something similar to that, maybe a bit less orange (Actually I think it's right... oops). Sorry if my descriptions are a bit vague (I'm quite new to this process), I probably should have rephrase my initial post. I'll try link an image from the web to present a similar look.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	62strat-11.jpg 
Views:	445 
Size:	150.0 KB 
ID:	29720
    Last edited by redmanion; 13-01-2019 at 09:58 PM.

I've been using Feast & Watson 'Golden Teak' Prooftint. It comes in a 50ml. bottle.
    First coat is more of a yellow but application of more brings more orange into the colour.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	76 headstock.JPG 
Views:	668 
Size:	254.7 KB 
ID:	29722

cheers, Mark.

Thanks for the reply Mark.

Would you also recommend this for the rest of the neck as well?

Cheers!

No worries. Yes I did the whole neck with it (maple).

As was previously suggested, you could test it out on the off-cuts of headstock shaping.

cheers, Mark.

I'm a nitro man, so I'd go with a tinted amber lacquer. A few coats of that than several clear on top. It will get you a lot nearer to your photo if that's what you are after.

Here's a neck from my 1995 Jap Strat that I've re-profiled and re-lacquered. The headstock face was the original tinted colour (albeit a satin finish) that now has clear lacquer over it, as I didn't want to risk damaging the lettering. Everything else was sanded back to bare wood, the neck profile thinned at the shoulders and given a gentle V-shape, (to get it to feel rather like my DG Strat) then about 3 coats of amber tinted lacquer applied and four coats of clear on top. Sanded back then polished. I think the colours match pretty well.

Just to get you thinking!

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    I'm a nitro man, so I'd go with a tinted amber lacquer. A few coats of that than several clear on top. It will get you a lot nearer to your photo if that's what you are after.

Here's a neck from my 1995 Jap Strat that I've re-profiled and re-lacquered. The headstock face was the original tinted colour (albeit a satin finish) that now has clear lacquer over it, as I didn't want to risk damaging the lettering. Everything else was sanded back to bare wood, the neck profile thinned at the shoulders and given a gentle V-shape, (to get it to feel rather like my DG Strat) then about 3 coats of amber tinted lacquer applied and four coats of clear on top. Sanded back then polished. I think the colours match pretty well.

Just to get you thinking!
    Is that a Nitro Clear lacquer Simon?
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

On the headstock face I just sprayed clear nitro lacquer, which did still have its original tinted clear poly finish on.

The back and sides of the neck had clear amber-tinted nitro (this stuff IIRC) https://www.rothkoandfrost.com/wood-...ute%5B3%5D=435
    with clear nitro lacquer on top of that for protection.

Thank you for the reply!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast