Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Mark's JTL-1 TeleMaster / JazzMaster

Mark's JTL-1 TeleMaster / JazzMaster

Okay, so I've had this baby for a little while now and wanted to get the semi-hollow finished properly before really getting stuck in. Now that time has come!

Really impressed with the grain on this Ash, it's delightful. And the grain going through the neck is also delicious. Going to go for a natural finish on this one, with no pickguard so the holes will have to be filled.

Tossing up between black grain fill using either ebony timbermate or black acrylic paint as per a Highline guitars method I saw. Although Andy40 has since seduced me with his walnut grain fill on his sweet ash tele. Hmmmm not sure yet, but I'm leaning towards black. Finished in truoil. Also torn between ageing the neck with a tiny tint of yellow or not. Maybe the TO will eventually do that job.

Going to set it up so I can swap between a humbucker and single lipstick at the neck, by using a pickup ring and a ring adapter. Will add a quick connect at the wiring level so this is possible quickly.

The neck pocket will need to go south by about 4mm as it is sitting way too proud currently - a general problem with these kits - see picture. I have a hand router with base, which I inherited and hardly used, let alone on a guitar so I'm sure I will have many questions on how to get this done. Will be looking at a bit with a bearing at the base I guess and will have to build a guide jig or at least a levelling jig to get the small router base across the side of the pocket without much around it. Daunting, but I know it needs to be done.

Upgrades are a tusq nut, fully adjustable bridge (new bridge holes to be drilled and old ones plugged), Bourns pots / orange drop and Grover locking tuners. Will also aim for a string thru body on this one too, so I have the ferrules obviously.

Got some ash offcuts too, to test out finish options/methods/approaches however the grain isn't really strong on them, but none the less they will help.

Aiming to take my time on this one - plus there are and will be a few more builds lurking around in tandem. Wish me luck!

Sounds like it's going to be a great build. I am wondering though what pot you're going to use for the swappable lipstick / humbucker.

Sent from my LG-H930 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by kuanjb View Post
    Sounds like it's going to be a great build. I am wondering though what pot you're going to use for the swappable lipstick / humbucker.

Now...that IS a great question. I've got Bourns 250's but the HB was an after thought due to looking at the routing and opting for no pickguard. I'm going to have to do some more thinking on that. Good point, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Bakersdozen View Post
    Now...that IS a great question. I've got Bourns 250's but the HB was an after thought due to looking at the routing and opting for no pickguard. I'm going to have to do some more thinking on that. Good point, thanks.
    No worries.

Could always try a mini humbucker instead and maybe a 330k or 375k pot. And perhaps a .022 tone cap.

Quote Originally Posted by kuanjb View Post
    No worries.

Could always try a mini humbucker instead and maybe a 330k or 375k pot. And perhaps a .022 tone cap.

Good suggestions mate, thank you.

You could maybe incorporate something like a Fender dual 250K/500K pot, but it would also require some switching/selection wiring depending on which pickup is installed and/or what value you want in combo with the bridge etc.
    Scott.

8. Liked by: Bakersdozen

Quote Originally Posted by WeirdBits View Post
    You could maybe incorporate something like a Fender dual 250K/500K pot, but it would also require some switching/selection wiring depending on which pickup is installed and/or what value you want in combo with the bridge etc.
    Yeah that would work. Just have two connectors in the pickup cavity, one for the 250k and one for the 500k.

God that grain looks fantastic. even the ends look great
    Build #1 - ST-1 - Completed
    Build #2 - LP-1SS - Completed
    Build #3 - TLA-1R - Completed
    Build #4 - SGD-612 - Completed
    Build #5 - ES-1G - Completed
    Build #6 - STA-1HT | Completed
    Build #7 - ST1JR - Completed
    Current Build #8 - JBA-4
    Build #9 - Semi-scratch build Tele x 2 - Completed
    Current Build #10 - PRS-1H
    Current Build #11 - AGJR-1 - Completed
    Current Build #12 - ATL-1SB
    Current Build #13 - GST-1
    Current Build #14 - FBM-1

Looking forward to seeing how this comes out. Such nice kits to begin with. How’s the weight on this one?

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast