Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: BlackBerry tele build diary TLA1s

Headstock logo in place. I’m planning on keeping the neck quite thinly coated with Tru Oil.
    Another 24 hours and I’ll give her a slight buffing with some very fine wet and dry on the back of the neck.
    The next step is taking a P90 pickup cover and adapting it so that I can use it as a method of holding the lipstick pickup in place.
    I really want a lipstick sound in the neck position of this guitar but I really can’t bring myself to cover this beautiful grain with a pickguard, it would be an absolute travesty .

A P90 cover was used by Gibson to mount mini-humbuckers in a P-90 rout, so it's been done before. But whether a P90 cover will fit depend on the size of that humbucker rout. A P90 is a little bit longer and a little bit narrower than a normal humbucker.

I've seen double lipsticks configured like a humbucker (StewMac do a GoldenAge one), so you might consider fixing two together and having a coil tap, so that you could get a humbucking and single coil lipstick sound and fit a standard humbucker ring for mounting (if you did this you'd need a normal and a RWRP one to create a hum cancelling pickup.

Thanks Simon, the rout in this body is actually a p90 sized one anyway so there’s very little work for me to do, I also have a spare p90 cover left over from my last build.
    I’m planning on using the lipstick pickup that came with the kit initially as I’ve never owned a guitar with one in, i’ll have very little to compare it to in terms of sound quality. If I don’t get on with it then it can always be upgraded later but at the very least it looks really cool.
    My problem is finding the correct tools to cut the correct size for the pickup in the plastic cover I have.
    I think I may have to do it by hand with a set of modelling files I have, wish I had the cash to invest in a dremel to make life easier.

Last edited by Coganite; 14-01-2019 at 01:13 AM.

More hardware attached for setup and soldering today.
    Hopefully I’ll get it finished tomorrow.
    If anyone is reading could you give me some honest feedback on whether it would be worth entering into the guitar of the month competition?
    I’ve decided to keep it almost stock so not sure if it will have enough interest.

Quote Originally Posted by Coganite View Post

More hardware attached for setup and soldering today.
    Hopefully I’ll get it finished tomorrow.
    If anyone is reading could you give me some honest feedback on whether it would be worth entering into the guitar of the month competition?
    I’ve decided to keep it almost stock so not sure if it will have enough interest.
    Coganite, it’s definitely worth it for the feedback, and honestly, this is a fantastic build that should do well. On the down side there are already a couple of stunners in the mix.
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Enter it Coganite, make the judges life difficult. It is worthy.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenWashie View Post
    Coganite, it’s definitely worth it for the feedback, and honestly, this is a fantastic build that should do well. On the down side there are already a couple of stunners in the mix.
    Every month the standard goes up so no point in putting it off

Hopefully this multi photo post works but if not I’ll have to add them all individually.
    She’s complete (just waiting for coloured strings).

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast