Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: The Zero Budget build

I've a couple of quick suggestions.

1. A follow bit with the bearing mounted on the bottom "above" the cutter surfaces relative to the table.
    2. Thicker templates can put more distance between your digits and the sharp bits
    3. A thicker template can also mount a block handle or similar. this will help hold down the work piece and rotate it around the bit, this will also keep your hand(s) well above the cutter.
    4. Safety Guards are there for a reason!

I'm glad to see that the damage is not more substantial, as ouchy as it looks. I think it's probably a really timely lesson for all of us using or adapting power tools to suit our various purposes.

I have some heavy duty template making, hogging out and routing coming up, your mishap has given me pause to consider how these operations might be done with less risk and more assurance.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

2. Liked by: G-Axe

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar
    Yikes.

The amount of damage to wood I've caused with the routers has made me extremely cautious when using them.
    Build 1 - Shoegazer MK1 JMA-1
    Build 2 - The Relliecaster TL-1
    Build 3 - The Black Cherry SG AG-1
    Build 4 - The Sonicaster TL-1ish
    Build 5 - The Steampunker Bass YB-4
    Build 6 - The Howling Gowing ST-1

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Mountain View Post
    Yikes.

The amount of damage to wood I've caused with the routers has made me extremely cautious when using them.
    DITTO. in regards to powered woodworking machinery:

"It's not "if" you are being paranoid, it's a case of are you being paranoid enough"
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

5. Liked by: wazkelly

Holly Cows G-axe! Don’t do a Django on us!

Geez, that hand looks pretty serious, hope it heals-up soon and all is well with it.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenWashie View Post
    I've a couple of quick suggestions.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery
    Those are all really sensible suggestions. I've got a few sheets of 12mm MDF and a bottom bearing flush bit. I think my first job when I "get back on the horse" will be engineering the perfect template handle.

Thanks everyone for the wishes.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

#4 - Zero Budget
    #3 - Semi-Scratch Baritone w. PBG 30" Tele neck
    #2 - EX-1
    #1 - ST-1M

wishing you a speedy recovery

So back on the horse as they say. Fingers are healing well and I'm making progress again.

After experimenting with lost of different ways to use mechanical advantage, ie clamps, presses, levers, etc. It turned out the best way was to get medieval.

Now my bridge is bent! I have to trim down that protruberance once I measure and drill the holes for the saddle screws, but I'm really happy with how it's turned out:

#4 - Zero Budget
    #2 - EX-1
    #1 - ST-1M

Today it occurred to me that I need ferrules, or an equivalent. So I took apart the bridge on the old "strat" and found this:

A dirty, cracked "sustain block". Figuring it didn't need to be pretty as long as it did the job, I got stuck into it with an angle grinder. Surprisingly, it cut through it like butter, without even sparking. But when I hit it with a file, it broke apart:

Worst metal ever. Even worse than Winger.

So it was time to improvise. Looking through the random detritus in the garage, inspiration struck. I found some old brushed nickel cabinet handles from our pre-reno kitchen. They're 10mm in diameter, and have M4 threads. I drilled out the cores with a 3.2mm bit:

And then a 4.8mm bit for the string balls:

All I need to do now is cut these 26mm lengths in half, drill out some jumbo sized ferrule holes and I'll be set.

#4 - Zero Budget
    #2 - EX-1
    #1 - ST-1M

Quote Originally Posted by G-Axe View Post
    Today it occurred to me that I need ferrules, or an equivalent. So I took apart the bridge on the old "strat" and found this:

A dirty, cracked "sustain block". Figuring it didn't need to be pretty as long as it did the job, I got stuck into it with an angle grinder. Surprisingly, it cut through it like butter, without even sparking. But when I hit it with a file, it broke apart:

Worst metal ever. Even worse than Winger.

So it was time to improvise. Looking through the random detritus in the garage, inspiration struck. I found some old brushed nickel cabinet handles from our pre-reno kitchen. They're 10mm in diameter, and have M4 threads. I drilled out the cores with a 3.2mm bit:

And then a 4.8mm bit for the string balls:

All I need to do now is cut these 26mm lengths in half, drill out some jumbo sized ferrule holes and I'll be set.

Perfect! Great MacGyver(ing) .. The missus always hangs sh#t on me for keeping random bits and pieces .. case in point - you never know when you might need it for something else. Or to modify it for a use it was never intended for. Love it, keep up the good work (safely please) !

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast