Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: First build. SG 1

First build. SG 1

Well here goes. 1st build for me an SG 1.
    I am not very confident due to my skill level but looking forward to it.
    I am going to keep it very simple as I am just learning.
    Sanding back to 240 grit and going to stain the neck and body black then sand and then stain cherry red followed by several coats of tru oil for a nice shine.
    I've done the mock build and everthing seems good.
    I am worried about cutting the head stock so may leave this one standard. The headstock will be gloss black.
    The only problem I can see is that one of the pearl dots on the fretboard is raised quite a bit and not flush. Am I able to tap this in or should I attempt to sand it?
    Not sure how to post pics from my phone.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomtom View Post
    Well here goes. 1st build for me an SG 1.
    I am not very confident due to my skill level but looking forward to it.
    I am going to keep it very simple as I am just learning.
    Sanding back to 240 grit and going to stain the neck and body black then sand and then stain cherry red followed by several coats of tru oil for a nice shine.
    I've done the mock build and everthing seems good.
    I am worried about cutting the head stock so may leave this one standard. The headstock will be gloss black.
    The only problem I can see is that one of the pearl dots on the fretboard is raised quite a bit and not flush. Am I able to tap this in or should I attempt to sand it?
    Not sure how to post pics from my phone.
    Hiya Tomtom and welcome!

the easiest way to post pics from your phone is to download the Tapatalk App and post from that, it will allow you to resize photos and post directly to your thread or others.

The dot should have been levelled with the board form factory, there are two options here:

1. Very carfully sand it flat with the board
    2. mask around it, use a small diamond file to get it close, then finish with sand paper (600 grit or higher)

im not sure tapping it in is a good idea as you may break it out completely.
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

3. Liked by: Tomtom

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenWashie View Post
    Hiya Tomtom and welcome!

the easiest way to post pics from your phone is to download the Tapatalk App and post from that, it will allow you to resize photos and post directly to your thread or others.

The dot should have been levelled with the board form factory, there are two options here:

1. Very carfully sand it flat with the board
    2. mask around it, use a small diamond file to get it close, then finish with sand paper (600 grit or higher)

im not sure tapping it in is a good idea as you may break it out completely.
    Hope these photos worked.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Oh wow, that really is sitting up isn’t it?

i think a small diamond file will take that down, but you’ll have to be very careful so as not to take material off the corner or the face of the board.
    FrankenLab

6. Liked by: Tomtom

Put masking tape around it to start with to help protect the wood (already mentioned above). Maybe use some Scotch tape (as it's thinner) when it's almost flat. Then sandpaper should work after the files. Make sure the frets stay covered as you don't want to scratch those. Don't use too coarse a file or paper, as MOP is supposed to come away in grains that are about twice the size of the grit used, so you can easily get dips below the surface of the fretboard. So go fine and go slowly but surely.

8. Liked by: Tomtom

Thanks. I will try that. Starting the build in 3 weeks.

Ok. Here goes. Got diamond coated files and ready to start. Wish me luck. Shitty way to have to start my first build but challenging.

Bit at a time, checking often mate, easy as she goes.
    FrankenLab

First coat of black stain. Maybe 1 more coat before I start on the cherry red.

Coat 3 of the black. Sanding with 320 tomorrow and cherry red coats to finish.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast