Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: First build. SG 1

Sanded back black now 3 coats of cherry. Might do a couple more to darken it up before letting it dry completely and start the tru oil finish.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Problem as can be seen in the photo above is the horizontal line across the bottom of the stain. Have no idea where this came from as it wasn't visible until I started applying the red stain.

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar
    Given it goes right across all the different bits of wood, I think this looks like the body hasn't gone through the thicknesser cleanly.

If it were me I would try using a big flat sanding block and some fairly coarse sandpaper to level it out a bit better. Means undoing some of your work, but at least you haven't progressed to clears yet.

I normally do a light guide coat to show where the low spots are sanding like in these pics. This guitar was to be black, so it's really important to get it super flat.

Build 1 - Shoegazer MK1 JMA-1
    Build 2 - The Relliecaster TL-1
    Build 3 - The Black Cherry SG AG-1
    Build 4 - The Sonicaster TL-1ish
    Build 5 - The Steampunker Bass YB-4
    Build 6 - The Howling Gowing ST-1

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"

4. Liked by: Tomtom

Thanks sonic

Sorry to be a pest and asking too many questions but I seem to be having a lot of issues with the finish on this basswood body. The true oil seems to be working ok on the front and back although not quite as smooth as I would have liked after 5 thin coats.
    The main issue is with the edges of the body where the oil just seems to soak in and stiil is rough with no gloss. I sanded everything to 320 grit but it is very frustrating that the edges now feel and look rough. Am I doing something wrong or should I just try to keep building up the tru oil on the edges?

It’s a patience game with the oil finishes. Some of the really nice tru oil finishes you see have up to 30 odd thin coats on them, or more depending on the individuals level of OCD.
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

8. Liked by: Tomtom

Looking great so far.

The end grain usually seems very "thirsty" and well take a lot of oil to start with. The more you put on, it will eventually start to even out like the face of the wood. Did you give it a soak coat to begin with?

10. Liked by: Tomtom

Just starting soak coats on the end grain now.

On a brighter note I followed the advice and used a diamond file on the 12th fret mother of pearl and managed to get it pretty flush. A few minor scratches which I can polish out.
    Thanks fellas.

Nice job on the levelling, tape the frets either side and then work over it with some finer papers and it should be sweet!
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

14. Liked by: Tomtom

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast