Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Thread: GS-1sf 1st build - Cocoa

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BuffaloGhost View Post
    with these projects is knowing when to walk away and take a deep breath to return fresh and solve that problem.
    Yup, patience always yields better results. Looking great, even though you are having hassles.
    Build 1 - Shoegazer MK1 JMA-1
    Build 2 - The Relliecaster TL-1
    Build 3 - The Black Cherry SG AG-1
    Build 4 - The Sonicaster TL-1ish
    Build 5 - The Steampunker Bass YB-4
    Build 6 - The Howling Gowing ST-1

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"

Quote Originally Posted by BuffaloGhost View Post
    Ok remask Ed and sanded and sorted out the side bleeds. There are still some tiny errors but I can live with them.

Need to cut back the top at some point but once it’s real hardened up so I’ll stick all the stuff on in the meantime.

Tried a test colour match on the gold hardware x x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    you could have spent a bit more time blocking the paint a bit more to flatten it, my advice to everyone who does a paint or clear getting a 3m color sanding block or what i use i make all my sanding blocks i use a 10mm self adhesive eva foam on a 40mm wide piece of wood long as i need the flatter you get the paint the better it shines and looks a lot better a great paint job is in the prep work😀

He hasn't done any flattening yet, Phroz. it's just a few clear layers over the flake so far. Waiting a few days for it to cure before flattening and polishing.

No there’s no flattening done on the clearcoat yet. You can’t really flat flake before clearcoat as it fills the colour (turns the flake dull grey) this has tonnes of clear on it and it’s not going to be hard propperly for ages. I also don’t have any polishing equipment either. So my plan is to get everything fitted and working - wait a month until it’s really hardened off then strip it for polishing.

I can’t afford any polishing stuff at the moment - I might hire a polisher and some cutting compounds from a car finishers if I can find one - I do have a friend who is an amazing custom car painter so the easy thing would be to ask
    Him.

I tried polishing my samples by hand and they never worked.

G'day Phrozin, what was the duro number for the EVA foam it is available from very soft to almost rock hard.

I got some 360 to make a dash pad for the race car when I got it road registered, had to buy a sq metre of it to get what rules required so the tiny piece I needed wasn't cheap

Quick update. Tried to test my new loom. My amp is a bit dodgy connection wise so not a brilliant test but it appears there is power running through it but my pickups are dead.. time to check that wiring again this evening.

Still trying to find a polisher....

Phrozin uses these sorts of pads in a battery drill https://www.amazon.co.uk/TedGem-Poli...polishing+pads

You don't want the drill turning too quickly otherwise you get quick heat build-up and the finish softens, so a battery drill with speed control is ideal.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    Phrozin uses these sorts of pads in a battery drill https://www.amazon.co.uk/TedGem-Poli...polishing+pads

You don't want the drill turning too quickly otherwise you get quick heat build-up and the finish softens, so a battery drill with speed control is ideal.
    Interesting Build project and some fine results. As with my projects, we learn from our mistakes!!

Can I just give a huge thanks to all the guys in the community with their brilliant tips & hints. I've only done one full Pitbull project and a LP from Guitar Kit World, plus a few assembly jobs requiring necks that I've done with Pitbull parts. I try to digest as must of this info as I can from you "veterans".

I'm just starting my new project, an ATL-1FW “Thinline”, and psych'ing myself up to begin staining.

Sorry for the delay in posting. I’m dropping the guitar to a friend this evening for polishing. Although I wanted to do everything myself I’m still not confident enough not to cock this up. Ash was the guy who sprayed my beetle so seems fitting he should do this too. And in return I’m just doing some design work.

Here’s a pic in the sun the other day

Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast