Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: February GOTM

That’s really lovely Tony, I really dig the gold and maroon scheme, great work!
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenWashie View Post
    That’s really lovely Tony, I really dig the gold and maroon scheme, great work!
    Thanks FrankenWashie. Was good to finish my first build. Only problem now is I'm already thinking about my next one

Quote Originally Posted by sharpy View Post
    Nice work Mark your PRS-1H looks awesome.

Thought I'd submit my first build. Took on the GR-1SFG through December and January.

Had some challenges with the finish. Started staining it but then couldn't get a nice smooth finish with the polyurethane so went with paint instead. Not the finish I was going for but happy enough with it.

Moved some of the control knobs around so it was more like a Gibson ES-275.

Anyway here are some pics.

Cheers,
    Tony

Attachment 29705

Attachment 29706

Attachment 29707

Attachment 29708
    I love this. What’s the paint process? That gold looks lovely. Like the anniversary series.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks BuffaloGhost. Honestly nothing special with the painting process. Just a couple of cans of spray paint and a can of clear coat. I had stained the body and applied polyurethane so I had to sand off the poly first but then it was just a case of masking the binding and spraying it.

This is my Thanoscaster.
    I used dartfords wood dye to get the colour, innumerable very diluted coats as I didn’t want to overpower that grain.
    Grain filled with a darker mix on the neck for a dirty effect.
    Multiple coats of Tru Oil on the body polished with 3000 grit wet and dry as well as three coats on the neck.
    I decided against using the pickguard included as I couldn’t stand the idea of drilling into that body.
    In its place I used a p90 pickup cover routed out to hold the lipstick in place.
    My original plan was to use a hot rail hunbucker in the bridge but I decided against it for numerous reasons.
    I used a template from a 50s tele for the headstock and added the “pinched” effect on the outer curve to distinguish it as my own.
    No real upgrades from the original parts supplied in the kit as I was really happy with the quality of all of them.

Thanks mate, I very nearly didn’t enter when I saw the other builds entered. Both incredible looking guitars.

Nice work Coganite. That looks really good. Think my next one might be a tele.

Some great entries so far this month. I wasn't sure about entering this but i figure i may as well have a crack.

Heres my JTL-1 kit "The Blasteroid"

Modifications & Upgrades

Both horns cut and reshaped

Reshaped the forearm bevel

Made a custom pick guard

Painted Block "inlays" on the neck

Countersunk washers instead of a neck plate

Brass screws for pick guard and selector switch (To accent the brass bridge saddles)

4 Layer 2K Paint

Joe bardon Vintage Tele bridge

Kluson tuners

Tonerider AC2 Neck pick up

Tonerider Vintage Plus Bridge pick up

PIO Cap

4 way oak grigsby switch

Recessed jack socket

Overall i really enjoyed this build, Its really nice to play and has that tele twang about it but with a little more oomph in the neck. The string through drilling didn't go the best but i learnt some valuable lessons there. Probably if i was to do it it again i would take a little bit more off the top horn.

Currently planning my next build. Its going to be quite different to this

11. Liked by: Guvna19, VandoPlaysBass

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast