Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Squeeski's RD4 Bass build diary...

Squeeski's RD4 Bass build diary...

So... 2 days to get from Oz to the UK, then 14 days to get from London to Leeds via customs!! And I'd completely forgotton about customs charges... lesson learned! But it's here... happy Christmas to me!

Really looking forward to this, it's something I've always wanted to do.. and as I've said before.. getting a genuine RD Bass would mean selling my kidneys.

Everything seems present and correct... the wood's in good nick, only a couple of very minor dints that will sand out. So I'm a happy bunny.

My intention is to use a Wudtone dye kit with a satin finish in a fetching teal colour with silver highlighting. I'll likely install a set of entwistle neodymium pickups, use a different wiring loom, and put a hipshot extender on it (if my ultralite extender will fit). The 3 point bridges are much maligned, but I'll persevere with it.. I've had them on 3 Tbirds I've had previously and never had an issue... but if it irks me that much I'll look at a hipshot replacement down the line

My first ever build so I'm sure I'll have queries for all the oracles on here... the first being.... the neck is a nice tight fit.. but there's an overhang of the fretboard... is that normal with these kits? Or will I have to sand the pocket a bit?

Cheers guys...
    I feel like I've been offered a bit part in the movie adaptation of the story of my life...

Bottom end of alt-rock 3 piece Pensacola
    96 Fender jazz
    Franken-Pbass
    Rickenfaker 4003
    Revelation RJT60B Bass VI
    #1 build - Stuntman RD-4 bass

Sounds good. Take your time and it will all work out fine.
    Current:
    GTH-1

Completed:
    AST-1FB
    First Act ME276 (resurrected curb-side find)
    ES-5V
    Scratchie lapsteel
    Custom ST-1 12 String
    JBA-4
    TL-1TB
    Scratch Lapsteel
    Meinl DIY Cajon
    Cigar Box lap steel

Wishing:
    Baritone
    Open D/Standard Double 6 twin neck

I think you'll find the Fretboard overhang is intentional. You can trim it back, reshape it or leave it as is depending on what grabs your fancy.
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenWashie View Post
    I think you'll find the Fretboard overhang is intentional. You can trim it back, reshape it or leave it as is depending on what grabs your fancy.
    Ah cheers for that... I'm no woodworker so I think I'll leave as is... in fact I'm sure my first Tbird copy had an overhang... as do I nowadays! All's good
    I feel like I've been offered a bit part in the movie adaptation of the story of my life...

96 Fender jazz
    Franken-Pbass
    Rickenfaker 4003

Quote Originally Posted by squeeski View Post
    Ah cheers for that... I'm no woodworker so I think I'll leave as is... in fact I'm sure my first Tbird copy had an overhang... as do I nowadays! All's good
    😂🤣 don’t we all champ! The belly cut becomes less a ‘nice to have’ ergo feature and more of a mandatory requirement!
    FrankenLab

6. Liked by: squeeski

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenWashie View Post
    😂🤣 don’t we all champ! The belly cut becomes less a ‘nice to have’ ergo feature and more of a mandatory requirement!
    just my luck this doesn't have the contour... I shall just have to let it hang over the "waist" of the bass haha

96 Fender jazz
    Franken-Pbass
    Rickenfaker 4003

Play it low slung a la Krist Novoselic! Whip that hair! Rage against the midlife, that’s what I’m doing! or at least I would but I’ve a dodgy ankle ....and the hip is tightening up...🥺

its less rock rock and roll these days and more wobble and rotate slightly until something clicks....😭
    FrankenLab

So I'm plodding along nicely with my first build and really enjoying myself into the bargain. Body is finished and curing away...

I wanted a semi transparent satin finish.. which is what I've got. Won't Be to everyone's taste but it doesn't have to be!

Neck has been finished with a good lashing of Danish oil...

Headstock gone black.. ready for a custom logo and lacquering...

Got a more "Gibsonesque" bell shaped TRC and customised speed knobs on order... the Entwistle Neodymium pups and wiring harness came last week.. so will be all systems go next weekend for starting on the electrics and the body hardware I think.

Exciting times ahead....

96 Fender jazz
    Franken-Pbass
    Rickenfaker 4003

So..I've just finished my first ever build 😊 quite pleased with myself... it works... and nobody died! 🤣 So here is my RD Bass build.

body finished in Wudtone "lady teal" to a kinda semi transparent satin effect. Neck (bolt on) finished with a liberal splash of Danish oil... fretboard treated with F-one oil. Headstock painted black and gloss lacquered. Logo is my wife's creation. (It's an in joke, too long to explain!) I also stuck a more gibson-esque TRC on it.

All cavities shielded with copper tape.... set of entwistle JBXN jazz bass installed and got a good quality solderless wiring loom. I'll persevere with the stock machineheads and bridge... they seem to be doing what they need to well.

Plays really well and sounds great! Can't wait to stick it through my ashdown stack and waft trousers! 😁

96 Fender jazz
    Franken-Pbass
    Rickenfaker 4003

Nice work. I like the colour
    Build 1: Non-PBG Flamed Maple LP - Wine Red
    Build 2: JRM-1DC - The Butterscotch Belle

Pedalboard Build

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast