Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Paolo's GR 1SF build

Paolo's GR 1SF build

Hi All,
    I ordered a custom GR 1SF Lefty around June last year.
    Opened the box very excited. Then when I placed all the components together I realised the tremolo was a right hand version! Adam then found that the factory didn't have a Left hand tremolo, so he sourced a real Bigsby Lefty ( at a discount cost). Thanks Adam. But now I had my first ever build that had to live up to it's hardware. No pressure.

Then I had all sorts of plans for the paint job. Something fun, different, very graphic. It took months, and I wasn't happy. Life took over and I had to put the project aside for a while.

So a month ago, I decided I wanted to see the grain and I started researching finishes, and watching people spraying bursts in lacquer, and the Dingo tone videos and I emailed DingoBass with a couple of queries. I really liked his GR 1sf but then I saw an Ibanez Artcore vintage and thought that colour would be great. And not just a copy of DB's.

Dingotone colours weren't all available and there weren't sample panels to see so I eventually settled on using Feast and Watson stains and Tru oil.
    I bought Prooftint stains in Maple and Golden Teak. The colours look very different on ply. So I experimented and made a colour for the top from one part of each plus one part Prooftint colour reducer. I thinned it with this because I didn't want to go too strong first off. It's a lovely warm honey colour.
    For the sides and neck I made the mix without the reducer, with a little more of the Maple.
    The Head stock face had this colour mixed with Black Japan which I had in the shed. it made A nice dark brown.

Before application I had done all the sanding, vacuuming off the dust and masking the binding. I saw a guy online make thin strips of tape by clamping a craft blade onto a small stack of cards and turning the roll of standard tape around against it. Worked a treat and saved a lot of scaping colour off.
    Staining finished now. In the oiling with Tru oil process. 4 coats on so far. starting to look nice.
    Picks attached.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2540.jpeg 
Views:	223 
Size:	316.0 KB 
ID:	29356   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2970.jpeg 
Views:	250 
Size:	284.9 KB 
ID:	29357   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2978.jpeg 
Views:	270 
Size:	288.6 KB 
ID:	29358  

That’s coming up really well Paolo, great job!
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Looks great!
    #001 (LP-1S) [finished - co-runner up Nov 2018 GOTM]
    #002 (WL-1)
    #003 (MPL Megacaster - semi scratch build) [finished]
    #004 (ST-1 JR - Arachnoid Superhero build) [finished]
    #005 (LP jr)
    #006 (TL-1A)

Junk shop acoustic refurbs (various)
    'The TGS Special'

Very nice paolo, they're a nice guitar finished

Looks good Paolo. One day I'll build this kit....right handed of course!
    Build #1 - ST-1 - Completed
    Build #2 - LP-1SS - Completed
    Build #3 - TLA-1R - Completed
    Build #4 - SGD-612 - Completed
    Build #5 - ES-1G - Completed
    Build #6 - STA-1HT | Completed
    Build #7 - ST1JR - Completed
    Current Build #8 - JBA-4
    Build #9 - Semi-scratch build Tele x 2 - Completed
    Current Build #10 - PRS-1H
    Current Build #11 - AGJR-1 - Completed
    Current Build #12 - ATL-1SB
    Current Build #13 - GST-1
    Current Build #14 - FBM-1

head stock

Quote Originally Posted by Andy40 View Post
    Looks good Paolo. One day I'll build this kit....right handed of course!
    Thanks Andy,
    I have also re shaped the head stock. didn't want to remove much wood but was happy with this.
    Not looking forward to the fitting the electronics though!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2968.jpeg 
Views:	229 
Size:	351.6 KB 
ID:	29364   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2976.jpeg 
Views:	219 
Size:	329.0 KB 
ID:	29365  

I like that HS shaping! I’ve never really been sold on th factory shape. I’d reckon they are better off leaving it as a paddle and letting individual builders decide how it should look. Nice job, really enjoying watching this one evolve.
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

You can do the electronics on this before gluing the neck in being a full hollow body you can get your hand in through the neck cavity to help with the vinyl tubing that you need to use to pull the electronics into place. In saying this each of my hollow bodies took me at least 3 tries to get it all working. Another tip buy a nice roller bridge to go with the bigsby

First post... I have just placed an order for the same model but RH. Im nervous about it all but also excited. I have plans for the paintjob as an homage to my old custom vw that was finished in a cocoa pearlestent paint so im thinking a silver metal flake top with a rootbeer (brown) candy over the top. The the back and sides in an amber stain... (allthough this could all change) I'm trying to source some mega-trons or gold filtertrons at the moment and have already ordered a rollerbridge... Should be with me sitting on my desk when i get back after christmas so i guess I need to start my own build thread.. thanks for the inspiration! i'm sure ill be asking LOTS of questions!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast