Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: AG-2 first kit build

AG-2 first kit build

Thought I'd share my build progress here. Got this kit extra cheap with an ebay auction. Wasn't really planning on a new guitar but the price was right.

This is my first kit build. I do have a neck through guitar that I built from scratch some years ago with my dad. That guitar is full of issues. I'm hoping that this kit will be good practice for fixing my earlier project properly too.

I'm not planning anything too drastic. A little shaping of the body. Spray paint to finish the body and some sort of clear finish on the neck I think.

Questions:
    Are the stock humbuckers ok? I'm considering getting a pair of gfs mean 90s instead.
    Recommendations for an easy clear finish for the neck?
    Any common pitfalls or anything I need to watch for with this kit in particular?

Sent from my SM-J120ZN using Tapatalk

Noice, love the reshaping. I’d build with the stock pups to start, until you figure out what it is you want from the guitar, then go chasing tone or output or options. They’re not fantastic pups, but they aren’t that bad.
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

3. Liked by: brisboy

I'm enjoying it so far. Your pickup advice sounds like a sensible way forward.

FW's right, the pups are easy to swap out later without any mods.

nice bevel though, I think getting the bevel on an SG's a bit of a task.

I do a lot of thinking about what I want from the guitar whilst sanding, sanding and sanding.

Have you done a mock build yet. I think the most important thing at the start is to put all the bits (kind of) together (don't put the bridge and saddle posts in though) and make sure its all there, straight and the scale length is right.

If anything is off, its important to do any fix up mods at the start, rather than finding out at the end.
    Build #1 - ST-1 - Completed
    Build #2 - LP-1SS - Completed
    Build #3 - TLA-1R - Completed
    Build #4 - SGD-612 - Completed
    Build #5 - ES-1G - Completed
    Build #6 - STA-1HT | Completed
    Build #7 - ST1JR - Completed
    Current Build #8 - JBA-4
    Build #9 - Semi-scratch build Tele x 2 - Completed
    Current Build #10 - PRS-1H
    Current Build #11 - AGJR-1 - Completed
    Current Build #12 - ATL-1SB
    Current Build #13 - GST-1
    Current Build #14 - FBM-1

I have had a look and made sure everything is present and accounted for. Only thing missing was the pitbull decal. Will have to have another read of instructions and check scale. Thanks!

Looks like the little fella can’t wait to make a start.

Looks good so far. I found cylindrical shaped blocks great for shaping the bevels in the cut away’s. You could also using some dowel with sand paper wrapped around it.

That looks great so far! I agree with the lots of sanding option. As said, the stock pickups, particularly the humbuckers, are pretty good and easy to swap later. I put a set of tonerider AC2 in my SG (link to build thread below). These to my ears sound totally authentic and warm. But I was after something specific and had saved my pocket money.

Btw, before gluing the neck make sure then neck centre line runs through the centre of the bridge post holes

Quote Originally Posted by Andyxlh View Post
    Btw, before gluing the neck make sure then neck centre line runs through the centre of the bridge post holes
    Wholeheartedly recommend this

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast