Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: The Resonator

Quote Originally Posted by GreyFloyd View Post
    Looks like I'll have to feed earth wire from pot thru piezo wire hole back to bridge for ground (??)
    I earthed mine from pot cavity directly to tailpiece, long drill, take aim ... fire :-)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20181212_225016.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	112.1 KB 
ID:	29399

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180427_170618.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	310.6 KB 
ID:	29400

Good idea CS and I bet you're a good shot! Think I'll look at doing the same when I get round to it. Have noted that the humbucker wire could have been a bit longer; will prove a challenge when I get to soldering (not my forte!!). Watched videos showing experts soldering, who don't touch the solder at all, but have never achieved that even though I upped my iron wattage from 25 to 40.

Have noted that the humbucker wire could have been a bit longer; will prove a challenge when I get to soldering (not my forte!!).

Watched videos showing experts soldering, who don't touch the solder at all, but have never achieved that even though I upped my iron wattage from 25 to 40.
    Rather than extending the humbucker wire I ran wire from pot into cone cavity and used a connector, secured it in a corner away from the cone.

When it comes to soldering I found I get better results since I went DOWN with tip size and power.
    Remember the golden rule, "If it smells like chicken, you're doing it wrong".

Courtesy of speedy post received my nut files from Adam this morning, filed the ebony blank, sat it on the piezo, attached the tailpiece, strung up with the cheapie strings in the kit, mainly to check the action, then lo and behold got a sound out of the axe! Really pleased so far, none of the issues that CS and FW had with their kits, PB must have made adjustments to the body etc as mine seemed to measure up fine (unless of course I'm not so bothered by the limitations of kit guitars generally). Anyway, I'll wait til after Xmas and unstring, fix the cover and re-string with the Ernie Ball's, and leave it awhile acoustic until I'm ready to tackle the electrics.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2018-12-24 15.04.08.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	400.0 KB 
ID:	29539

I got mine to acoustic noise stage, was actually a really nice sound. I’ve since added some acoustic through holes into the sound screens. Yours is looking Schmick, hopefully making a start on colour across the Christmas break.
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Couldn't wait so this morning (like a kid with a crissie present) unstrung, fitted cover, restrung with Ernie, and left it acoustic for the moment. Sounds pretty good and apart from the slight blemish in the wood on top, I'm satisfied for now.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6054.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	460.4 KB 
ID:	29549

7. Liked by: Swanny

Went electric today after a relatively quick and easy soldering job; didn't attach the earth but tried it out anyway and it does sound pretty good. Not sure if the piezo should sound so tinny but maybe it should?? Humbucker nice rounded tone; combination of both fun to try! Fitted the strap pins and used an old Gibson strap from my ES335. Couldn't have progressed so well without the help of Cork sniffer and FrankenWashie so muchas gracias fellas!!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2019-01-10 15.07.42.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	368.4 KB 
ID:	29672

Nice, i do want to build one of these one day

Went electric today after a relatively quick and easy soldering job; didn't attach the earth but tried it out anyway and it does sound pretty good. Not sure if the piezo should sound so tinny but maybe it should?? Humbucker nice rounded tone; combination of both fun to try! Fitted the strap pins and used an old Gibson strap from my ES335. Couldn't have progressed so well without the help of Cork sniffer and FrankenWashie so muchas gracias fellas!!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2019-01-10 15.07.42.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	368.4 KB 
ID:	29672

You're more than welcome GreyFloyd, I'm pleased to contribute to a result that you are happy with. It looks great, I love the wood grain coming through and the nice clean build you've put together. Great Job!
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Barnes View Post
    Nice, i do want to build one of these one day
    I thought I bought the last one, Barnesy, until I got an email yesterday from Adam telling me that the last one was returned to the factory with issues, but not taken off the stock list.

That's it for the resonator kits... they are no more.
    1st build - Blue ES-12G ->-Build Diary-<-

2nd build - Father/Son collaboration MB-1 ->-Build Diary-<-

3rd build - GR-SF1 ->-Build Diary-<-

4th build - FS-1 ->-Build Diary-<-

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 LastLast