Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: New Acer Aspire laptop.

So you could do with wiring up a plug that just has an earth wire running from it that you can attach to the metalwork or a ground connection on your interface or laptop. Or finding a suitable non-double insulated power supply for the laptop that has ground continuity.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    So you could do with wiring up a plug that just has an earth wire running from it that you can attach to the metalwork or a ground connection on your interface or laptop. Or finding a suitable non-double insulated power supply for the laptop that has ground continuity.
    Wiring-up a 240V AC plug that has just the earth-wire running from it is easy enough for me to do, I've just tried a few other usb leads in different usb ports, both usb 2.0 and usb 3.0, got the same audio distortion issue in each case.

Geez, if this usb audio sound issue isn't the most frustrating thing to fix, I don't know what is, I'm going to try doing a complete clean install of Windows 10 on my laptop in the hope that it fixes the problem.
    Last edited by DrNomis_44; 27-06-2020 at 07:05 PM.

USB 3 can cause some really random issues caused by proximity to other devices.

I had to physically move my USB 3 connected external drive away from the USB receiver for my rodent because it froze in awe of later technology.

Given that your kit works fine on the desktop ( did the red Focusrite USB cable work properly there ? ) don't go throwing good money after bad until you locate the issue.

May well be a grounding issue but the increased read/write speed could be causing buffer issues so it could be as simple as a parameter change in the DAW or the ASIO settings.

Should add that the most common exercise some get is jumping to conclusions and flying off the handle.

Take a deep breath have a cup of tea/coffee/Beer/wacky baccy or whatever and think about what you have changed because what was working properly before those changes is unlikely to have suddenly developed a hardware or driver fault.

FWIW I am running Focusrite Solo into PC with Win10 2004 and Lenovo laptop on the previous Win10 revision using various USB 2 cables with absolutely no issues, recorded yesterday and did some rough mixes today in prep for more recording next week.

If it goes tits up next week I am toast because the guy I am recording has recorded in the major Oz and Nashville studios over the last 50 years and he won't be amused because he's laying his stuff down free as a favour to a very ill friend

Quote Originally Posted by dave.king1 View Post
    USB 3 can cause some really random issues caused by proximity to other devices.

I had to physically move my USB 3 connected external drive away from the USB receiver for my rodent because it froze in awe of later technology.

Given that your kit works fine on the desktop ( did the red Focusrite USB cable work properly there ? ) don't go throwing good money after bad until you locate the issue.

May well be a grounding issue but the increased read/write speed could be causing buffer issues so it could be as simple as a parameter change in the DAW or the ASIO settings.

I've tried every combination of sample-rate and buffer setting I could in my Daw software (FL Studio) and none fixed the issue, tried every usb lead in every available usb port (I used my Energizer usb 3.1 hub to be able to plug into the usb 3.1 port) on my laptop, none made any difference either, tried installing the very latest Scarlett 2i2 driver that was available for download on Focusrite's website, still didn't fix the problem, tried going into Device Manager and setting the power management for all the usb controllers to always-on, still didn't fix the problem, I've tried running a little app called DPC (Deferred Procedure Call) Latency Checker on my laptop, it reported that my laptop should be able to stream audio without any dropouts.

I'm really stumped by this one.....hmmmmm....

Should add that the most common exercise some get is jumping to conclusions and flying off the handle.

Take a deep breath have a cup of tea/coffee/Beer/wacky baccy or whatever and think about what you have changed because what was working properly before those changes is unlikely to have suddenly developed a hardware or driver fault.

FWIW I am running Focusrite Solo into PC with Win10 2004 and Lenovo laptop on the previous Win10 revision using various USB 2 cables with absolutely no issues, recorded yesterday and did some rough mixes today in prep for more recording next week.

If it goes tits up next week I am toast because the guy I am recording has recorded in the major Oz and Nashville studios over the last 50 years and he won't be amused because he's laying his stuff down free as a favour to a very ill friend

I've been trying extremely hard to keep my cool while trying to fix the audio sound issue with my Scarlett 2i2, had a cup of coffee too...

I do remember that it was working fine for a while earlier this year with the laptop's original 256Gb M.2 SSD drive, but then it started playing-up prior to the installation of the new 1Tb M.2 SSD drive, so I think it's highly unlikely that the new 1Tb M.2 SSD drive is the culprit.

I don't really want to try contacting Focusrite tech support again since the fix that they suggested trying didn't really fix the issue.
    Last edited by DrNomis_44; 27-06-2020 at 07:44 PM.

G'day Doc, open the lappy up and make sure all of the internal connectors are seated properly.

Remember, it worked and you have made internal changes.

Start there and work outwards before blaming stuff that works properly on the other machine.

Could well be a compatibility issue but given it has had surgery that must be the first place to look.

Remember despite keeping strict item counts surgeons still leave bits of kit and swabs inside patients occasionally.

It is human to err

G'day Doc, open the lappy up and make sure all of the internal connectors are seated properly.

Remember, it worked and you have made internal changes.

Start there and work outwards before blaming stuff that works properly on the other machine.

Could well be a compatibility issue but given it has had surgery that must be the first place to look.

Remember despite keeping strict item counts surgeons still leave bits of kit and swabs inside patients occasionally.

It is human to err
    I don't think it's a case of an internal connector not being seated properly, since the laptop wouldn't boot or function correctly if that was so, my Acer laptop does indeed boot-up and function correctly like it's supposed to, and I made triply-sure that the new 1Tb M.2 SSD drive was properly seated in it's socket before I put the back of the laptop back on it, I'm 100% sure of it, I was actually very slow and deliberate while doing the actual installation, all I did was unplug the stock 256Gb M.2 SSD drive from the socket and plugged-in the new one, I did not have to un-plug any of the other internal connectors, I did temporarily remove the 8Gb DDR4 ram stick so I could take a pic of the label on it, cause I'm going to be buying a second 8Gb DDR4 ram stick soon, and I needed the existing one's specs.

I did make sure I plugged the 8Gb DDR4 ram stick back in it's socket though.

Update:

Going to try doing a complete clean-install of Windows 10 64 Bit Build 2004 on my laptop, and see how I go with that.

That's a trust I don't have in myself, I trace back over all my steps before blaming something else.

Not disconnecting is not the same as not disturbing.

You may well be right but it's not the may my mind works.

Good luck with the hunt it's time for this old bloke to hit the sack

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast