Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: New Acer Aspire laptop.

Had to tweak some of the advanced settings for the WiFi adaptor in Device Manager, it's looking like the signal from my WiFi router is being interfered-with by some other WiFi networks where I live, so the signal strength is diminished, that's probably why my laptop was having trouble connecting to the WiFi router via WiFi.

Seems to be okay now after I made the tweaks, hopefully it'll stay working....touchwood.

I spoke too soon, my NBN Internet's become very temperamental now, might have to give Aussie Broadband a ring in the morning to get them to send an NBN Co. Tech out to come and have a look at my Fiber Optic cable and NBN Co. Box.

Just tried doing a firmware update on my TP-Link WiFi router, seems to have been successful so far.

As a professional network engineer , I agree completly .
    100 mb at home is fine unless youve got a local SAN and you doing video editing.
    Cat5e will be fine for home, but cat 6 and above is better for speed.
    BUT, it has to be done to specs. Bend radius, no DIY terminations, Velcro not cable ties and a few other bits and peaces.
    WiFi 6 will probably make a lot of cabling obsolete.
    Bruce

My only gripe with 'wifi' is that it's still not 100% RELIABLE.

I got fed up with my wireless mouse periodically going for a bunk, so it's cable for the forseeable future.

Mind you keeping a laser printer usable on a wired network is hard enough.

cheers, Mark.

Funnily enough, my Sonic B wireless keyboard started acting a bit erratically earlier this afternoon, I found that un-plugging the little wireless receiver dongle from it's usb port, and then plugging it back in seemed to fix it, also had to do the same for my Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface cause it wasn't producing any sound through the headphones, and yes both the wireless keyboard and mouse had new batteries in them at the time.

Anyway, it's been a good few hours since I did the firmware update on my TP-Link WiFi Router, and my laptop hasn't lost the WiFi connection, hopefully I haven't spoken too soon, but we'll wait till tomorrow to see if it plays-up again.

Incidentally, I did change the WiFi mode in Device Manager which might also be why it seems to have worked fine since the firmware update.
    Last edited by DrNomis_44; 06-01-2020 at 06:47 PM.

Just tried booting-up my new Acer laptop and the WiFi internet connection seems to be still working as it's supposed to, so I'm calling it fixed now, I'm planning on doing a hardware upgrade on the laptop this year, which involves replacing the 256Gb M.2 SSD that came stock-installed in it, with a new 1Tb M.2 SSD, reason being is that I need the extra space so that I can copy all my music mp3 files on my studio desktop PC onto my new laptop, there's probably well over 60Gb worth of mp3s on one of my desktop PC's SSDs, and 250Gb tends to fill-up fairly quickly, plus I also use my new laptop for music creation anyway.

Mwave.com.au happens to stock a Crucial 1Tb NVMe M.2 SSD that retails for $179.00, which I think is a pretty good deal given the storage space on the SSD, here's what it looks like:

https://www.mwave.com.au/product/cru...p1ssd8-ac19488

As far as I've been able to work out, replacing the stock 256Gb M.2 SSD really just involves removing all the screws that hold the bottom plastic cover in place, then removing two small screws that hold the 256Gb M.2 SSD in place, then it's just a case of removing the SSD from it's socket on the motherboard and plugging-in the new SSD, and then re-installing all the screws before performing a clean-install of Windows 10,.....doesn't sound too hard does it?
    Last edited by DrNomis_44; 07-01-2020 at 02:05 PM.

Recently bought myself a brand new Novation Launchpad Mk 2 midi controller(full sized, not the mini version) as a late Christmas present to myself, anyway, after going through the hardware registering process in my account at Focusrite.com, I found that there were some new free plugins being offered as well as some new loops to add to my collection, so I'm currently in the process of getting them installed on my new Acer laptop, after that....the fun begins in earnest!!!!!

I've just finished activating and playing around with a new VST synth called Biotek, it appears to be a sample player/synth and sounds pretty good, there are some great presets that I really should make into loops that I can use in Ableton Live.

Okay, time for another update.....

It's looking like I might have to seriously consider buying a brand new usb audio interface for my Acer laptop this year, reason being is that my current usb audio interface, a Scarlett 2i2 2nd Generation, is producing some crackly distortion when playing back youtube videos, Windows 10 system sounds, and audio from my Daw software, here's what I've tried to try and fix the crackly distortion:

1, Tried every combination of the sample-rate and audio buffer settings of the 2i2's ASIO driver.

2, Tried installing the very latest 2i2 driver I downloaded from the Focusrite website.

3, Tried several clean installs of Windows 10 and all my Daw software.

4, Tried different usb cables.

5, Tried different usb ports.

6, Tried contacting Focusrite technical support (they suggested trying some tests with an app called DPCmon, all tests were inconclusive).

Nothing has fixed the crackly distortion issue, funnily enough, my Scarlett 2i2 seems to work just fine with my studio desktop pc, which is running the exact same version of Windows 10, same driver, same Daw software, so, I'm wondering if my laptop's usb controllers have anything to do with it......hmmmmm....

Note that my Scarlett 2i2 has only just recently started producing the crackly audio distortion.

The crackly distortion comes through the headphone out socket as well as the line-out sockets, since the audio output quality of my Scarlett 2i2 has been degraded, I can't use it for any recording sessions or doing any live stuff with my laptop, so I'll probably need to forget about using the 2i2 and buy a new audio interface from a different manufacturer.
    Last edited by DrNomis_44; 08-02-2020 at 03:25 AM.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast