Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Sanding Sealer

Sanding Sealer

What sanding sealer are people using that is available locally in Australia? I see Feast Watson is the only one available at the BGS, but see mixed reviews on it

I’ve used behlin vinyl sealer on a few different guitars and it works well. I actually used it as a top coat on a relic job once too. They say not to but if worked fine. It’s available from guitaraust.com.au

i use bunnings https://www.bunnings.com.au/feast-wa...ealer_p1564794 i just brush on a couple of coats dry overnight its not rocket sience does the job

I've just shot a few coats of Zinsser Shellac sealer. Comes in an aerosol can and goes on really good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve just started using the FW stuff, I have a single coat on my ESR and my ST build, I have to say I’m sold on it. Very easy on with the brush, cleans up well and the finish after a sand back is quite excellent.
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

6. Liked by: michaelgard

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenWashie View Post
    I’ve just started using the FW stuff, I have a single coat on my ESR and my ST build, I have to say I’m sold on it. Very easy on with the brush, cleans up well and the finish after a sand back is quite excellent.
    I have to agree, it's a pleasure to work with and oh so smooth after sanding.

I've got a few tests I want to run with it in regards to taking stain, as the directions say to use Prooftint after sanding off the sealer. As Prooftint is spirit based, I want to try some keda dyes mixed with isopropyl alcohol to see how they play. Maybe even try water based as well to see if that takes and if there is any difference. I have already tested water based dye prior to applying the sealer, but it mostly sands away with the sealer unfortunately. Maybe spirit based would work different when applied prior - dunno yet will have to try that too.

Also want to see how it goes on Ash and flame maple after grain filling/popping with timbermate and before tru oil. Will be interesting to see how it all turns out and see what sequence and combinations work best, if at all

All the tools I have in my house are mostly made by Makita. That is all because I was able to find a really good sander and that is how I started with them. I had a lot of stuff that needed sanding in my home and I looked for a sander on bestorbitalsander.com. It is an amazing website with detailed reviews on the best sanders. I have chosen Makita BO5031/2 because they were saying many good things about it and it was in my price range. I really love that it is lightweight and very powerful for its size. After having it I realized that Makita is making really good tools and their stuff lasts for long.
    Last edited by Simba654; 07-08-2020 at 08:46 PM.

Also want to see how it goes on Ash and flame maple after grain filling/popping with timbermate and before tru oil.
    Isn't that kind of redundant? Isn't the sanding sealer meant to fill the grain? So why use the Timbermate as well?

In your experimenting, maybe do a test to see if the FW SS can be tinted with Prooftint. What's the worst that could happen???
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Quote Originally Posted by McCreed View Post
    Isn't that kind of redundant? Isn't the sanding sealer meant to fill the grain? So why use the Timbermate as well?

In your experimenting, maybe do a test to see if the FW SS can be tinted with Prooftint. What's the worst that could happen???
    This post was from a while back now. I used it after timber mate to kind of lock it into the grain. So the timber mate didn't sand out as such, only the sealer on top. And with staining (proof tint) I tried multiple combinations of the order of sanding, timber mate (for popping contrast), sanding sealer and stain on scrap veneer first.

You've really just got to experiment with what your trying to achieve on different woods.

To answer your question directly McCreed, Timber mate was used to pop the grain.

Hah!!! I didn't even look at the dates! Cheers!
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast