Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Sanding Sealer

This is a timely thread for me. I'm finishing a GSM-1 at the moment. My first attempt was with Feast Watson Prooftint in mahogany with a black burst. This was after applying Ebony Timbermate, but no sanding sealer.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3520.jpeg 
Views:	120 
Size:	571.0 KB 
ID:	36889

The timber took up the stain very unevenly, and it didn't look good, as much as I tried to like it. So I sanded it back, and this time applied sanding sealer before the stain. It's not exactly like for like, as I've decided to go with a natural black burst rather than mahogany. Here it is after the sealer was applied and sanded back.

Name:	IMG_3528.jpeg 
Views:	131 
Size:	555.7 KB 
ID:	36890

And here it is after the black burst.

Name:	IMG_3529.jpeg 
Views:	140 
Size:	650.9 KB 
ID:	36891

The sealer went on easily, and sanded back to a very smooth finish. It made applying the stain much easier and more consistent.

2. Liked by: Cliff Rogers

Glad that worked.

I think the natural timber burst is the best & will be even better once the hardware, knobs etc are installed.
    Last edited by Cliff Rogers; 09-08-2020 at 11:31 AM.
    Cliff

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Rogers View Post
    Glad that worked.

I thing the natural timber burst is the best & will be even better once the hardware, knobs etc are installed.
    Thanks Cliff. Yes, I'm much happier with it now. The black burst isn't perfect, but I think it'll look fine once the build's finished. I did do a mock build with hardware after I'd finished the stain and put a coat of oil on, just to get an impression of what it'll look like when done, and I think it's going to look great. Somewhat different to what I initially had in mind, but I'm getting used to guitars letting me know how they want t be finished ;-)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3