Thread: Windows 10 October 2018 Update

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Windows 10 October 2018 Update

Hey Everyone,

Recently, Microsoft released the latest Windows 10 feature update for October 2018, there's been reports of some Windows users having their important data deleted by the update, fortunately I didn't experience any data loss, but I did go through a pretty rough time with it after doing a complete clean install of Windows 10, yesterday I was wondering why my internet speeds were a bit slower than usual, and when I re-started my computer after it had a bit of a hissy-fit, I noticed that it was doing some kind of an update, anyway, the computer finally boot-up into windows and it seemed to be running a bit slow for some reason, so I shut it down last night and went to bed, I've just booted-up the computer and it seems to be fine now, but before booting-up into Windows, I had to go through the process of updating my Microsoft account details....a bit of a pain, but I got through it, seems to be okay now.

MS halted the Win 10 October update very quickly because of the problem, so any updates you get won't be the one that caused the file loss. I'm not sure how many people actually lost files, as a friend who tends to get the updates first as a beta tester thought he had lost almost everything on his hard drive, when in fact the update seemed to have created and logged him in to another user account with the same name. When he eventually realised and logged in to his normal account, then everything was fine again.

I have collected quite a few tracks from KaraokeVersion and keep them all in separate folders.
    Once I've edited them to point where they end up on my Walkman, they mainly languish forgotten.
    Some time after the last 'update' I had occasion to re-edit some tracks and discover some of the folders were empty.

No major problem as once you have paid for the tracks you can download them at any time in the future.
    Annoying though that 'updates' get to delete files willy-nilly..

cheers, Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    MS halted the Win 10 October update very quickly because of the problem, so any updates you get won't be the one that caused the file loss. I'm not sure how many people actually lost files, as a friend who tends to get the updates first as a beta tester thought he had lost almost everything on his hard drive, when in fact the update seemed to have created and logged him in to another user account with the same name. When he eventually realised and logged in to his normal account, then everything was fine again.
    I must have been one of the lucky ones that downloaded the fixed version of the October 2018 feature update then, cause that didn't happen with my main studio PC.

My PC was running like a dog last week and the normal 4 hours or so per day of AV scan became never ending and after some digging discovered that the ECU was overheating so got some new silver thermal paste and cleaned and reseated the heat sinking and all was good.

Last night the PC didn't shutdown after the scan so it obviously did the October upgrade during the scan and rebooted.

All good today and successfully mixed and mastered the tite track for the forthcoming album, while it was slow last week I couldn't lay down a harmony track because it was so sluggish

Quote Originally Posted by dave.king1 View Post
    My PC was running like a dog last week and the normal 4 hours or so per day of AV scan became never ending and after some digging discovered that the ECU was overheating so got some new silver thermal paste and cleaned and reseated the heat sinking and all was good.

Last night the PC didn't shutdown after the scan so it obviously did the October upgrade during the scan and rebooted.

All good today and successfully mixed and mastered the tite track for the forthcoming album, while it was slow last week I couldn't lay down a harmony track because it was so sluggish

Might have to give that a try with my studio PC, one thing I have noticed is that every now and then the mouse cursor freezes and I have to unplug the mouse, then plug it back in to get it working again, must do some investigating to track down the cause, I don't think it's the mouse cause it's a brand new one.

I downloaded a little program called coretemp and it showed the cores were around 94c at idle which is right at the top end of the safe window, new paste, blowing the dust out of the fins and careful reseating bought it down to around 34c per core.

I've also suffered the strange mouse behaviour, mine is wireless with the USB receiver plugged into the back of the case, moving it to the front made it better so I used a USB extension cable to plug it the back and bring it to the top away from the metal case interference. I also suspect that Win10 talking to itself causes everything to bog down

I've had some issues with some wireless keyboard and mouse combos (Logitech) where at first they would work fine, and then they would start to work a bit erratically to the point where I had to remove the batteries and then put them back in to restore normal operation, I came to the conclusion that the usb wireless receiver dongle was picking up interference, so I ended up going back to using a wired usb mouse and keyboard.

i had some issues on my older laptop mainly sound issues and mouse freaking out, i have a tb of movies and tv shows on it i was worried i lose i fixed it by putting it on gumtree and buy a new one, i play the odd game and watch a lot of movies and tv shows and spam youtube my new laptop hasn't had no problems with windows 10, my desktop hasn't had any trouble at all but it has a seperate sound card