Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ib1 5way switch wiring issue

Ib1 5way switch wiring issue

Hi. I Started trying to wire my guitar today, however I think I may have the incorrect switch. The one in the wiring diagram has 8 contacts whereas mine has 7. It also wont fit in the cavity. It is way too big. Also, I was a bit unsure about the output Jack. It didn't seem to want to fit in. Maybe I need to drill a bigger hole?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Is it the kit switch, or an upgrade?

Check some of the recent build diaries for the IB-1 re the jack issue. I’m certain a few others have had the same issue and found workarounds.
    Current:
    GTH-1

Completed:
    AST-1FB
    First Act ME276 (resurrected curb-side find)
    ES-5V
    Scratchie lapsteel
    Custom ST-1 12 String
    JBA-4
    TL-1TB
    Scratch Lapsteel
    Meinl DIY Cajon
    Cigar Box lap steel

Wishing:
    Baritone
    Open D/Standard Double 6 twin neck

Quote Originally Posted by Fretworn View Post
    Is it the kit switch, or an upgrade?

Check some of the recent build diaries for the IB-1 re the jack issue. I’m certain a few others have had the same issue and found workarounds.
    It was the kit switch. Thank you for the link.I'll have a look.

With an 8 lug switch the middle two lugs are the commons for each half of the switch, so you typically link your out/volume wire across both of them. The 7 lug switch just has a single common, so you just need to connect the out/volume wire to that single middle lug.

Are you saying the switch is too tall for the cavity? By how much? Is it seating completely or is the cavity rough or just not deep enough etc. Photos would help.
    Scott.

Hi. I did try uploading some but it wouldn't let me. I'll try again later. Thanks for clearing up the switch issue.

HBG - it seems odd that its too big for the cavity. I'll check with the crew at PBG HQ for you.

I tried drilling a bigger hole today, but only ended up damaging the paintwork

Quote Originally Posted by Hbg View Post
    It was the kit switch. Thank you for the link.I'll have a look.
    I had the jack issue with mine, I took a Dremel type tool and one of its sanding cylinder attachments and ran it around the inside of the jack hole. You’ll need to go gently, running it round a few times, then testing the jack fit as you go.
    you may also want to check if you can get enough of the hack protruding into the control cavity to get the retaining nut screwed on.
    i had to do some major surgery to get a enough protrusion for the nut, I also had to angle the cavity wall to get it perpendicular to the hack to allow the nut to go on square.
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Ouch. Worse thing is, I can't find where the output Jack is now. I opened my other kit to see if it had the same Jack, and it was missing. I have sent a message already to Phil, but as yet had no response.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast