Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Mark's PRS-1H Buid

Thanks BD that explains a lot, I can almost hear how sweet it sounds, but how did you do the tiny black burst line? what did you use?
    Build #1 - ST-1 - Completed
    Build #2 - LP-1SS - Completed
    Build #3 - TLA-1R - Completed
    Build #4 - SGD-612 - Completed
    Build #5 - ES-1G - Completed
    Build #6 - STA-1HT | Completed
    Build #7 - ST1JR - Completed
    Current Build #8 - JBA-4
    Build #9 - Semi-scratch build Tele x 2 - Completed
    Current Build #10 - PRS-1H
    Current Build #11 - AGJR-1 - Completed
    Current Build #12 - ATL-1SB
    Current Build #13 - GST-1
    Current Build #14 - FBM-1

Quote Originally Posted by Andy40 View Post
    Thanks BD that explains a lot, I can almost hear how sweet it sounds, but how did you do the tiny black burst line? what did you use?
    Lol, your not going to like the answer...sorry...
    But i used some FeastWatson walnut stain applied with a cotton bud. Forgot to mention that part.

Yeah you're right. Lok I don't have anything against the FW prooftint ....on furniture, but I find it has a lacklustre effect on guitars.

Plus the spirits dry out the wood. I totaled a fretboard once trying to stain it with FW prooftint.

But it does play nice with DT and it worked really well with yours man.
    Build #1 - ST-1 - Completed
    Build #2 - LP-1SS - Completed
    Build #3 - TLA-1R - Completed
    Build #4 - SGD-612 - Completed
    Build #5 - ES-1G - Completed
    Build #6 - STA-1HT | Completed
    Build #7 - ST1JR - Completed
    Current Build #8 - JBA-4
    Build #9 - Semi-scratch build Tele x 2 - Completed
    Current Build #10 - PRS-1H
    Current Build #11 - AGJR-1 - Completed
    Current Build #12 - ATL-1SB
    Current Build #13 - GST-1
    Current Build #14 - FBM-1

Quote Originally Posted by Andy40 View Post
    Yeah you're right. Lok I don't have anything against the FW prooftint ....on furniture, but I find it has a lacklustre effect on guitars.

Plus the spirits dry out the wood. I totaled a fretboard once trying to stain it with FW prooftint.

But it does play nice with DT and it worked really well with yours man.
    That's totally fair enough and I hear your point. Eeek about the fretboard mate, bugger.

Guys,

Just in relation to the jack socket....these guys are here in Australia...Coolum Queensland....and a lot quicker with postage.

https://www.realparts.com.au/hardwar...ck-chrome.html

I have bought heaps from them....highly recommended.
    Runner Up G.O.T.M. November 2020. Custom SHB-4

Runner Up G.O.T.M. December 2018. MMB-5

Winner G.O.T.M. March 2018. JBA-4

Runner Up G.O.T.M. December 2017. BG-46

Quote Originally Posted by ozzbike View Post
    Guys,

Just in relation to the jack socket....these guys are here in Australia...Coolum Queensland....and a lot quicker with postage.

https://www.realparts.com.au/hardwar...ck-chrome.html

I have bought heaps from them....highly recommended.
    Awesome Ozzbike - thanks heaps. Good to know!

Quote Originally Posted by Bakersdozen View Post
    Lol, your not going to like the answer...sorry...
    But i used some FeastWatson walnut stain applied with a cotton bud. Forgot to mention that part.
    I’m curious about your application technique with the cotton bud (genius). Did you simply run a thin line along the edge of the body while the body was still wet with stain (or was it dry)? Did you feather it out or did you just let nature take its course? Sorry to probe you for your secrets but I’ve never seen this done and I’d love to give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkMark View Post
    I’m curious about your application technique with the cotton bud (genius). Did you simply run a thin line along the edge of the body while the body was still wet with stain (or was it dry)? Did you feather it out or did you just let nature take its course? Sorry to probe you for your secrets but I’ve never seen this done and I’d love to give it a try.
    Okay, so my intention was to transition some of the 'questionable' areas of the veneer at the edges where the stain was not soaked evenly. Didn't look bad, but I wanted something else wasn't quite sure what, but none the less something. I played around on some scraps with some diluted isopropyl alcohol to kind of re-activate the stain and have it create a watered down effect giving a transition and spread. This kind of worked but created a negative burst if you know what I mean. It was interesting because you had a moment to kind of re-mix and push the stain around a bit.

I then found the Prooftint, which I had from a non-guitar related project from ages ago. Tried this and it had a kind of same effect, but a truer burst. It mixed and played nicely with the DT, but also gave it a really darkend almost black colour.

I played around in the scrap for a while and realised I could make a thin burst line, which is what I translated to the body.

It was neat Prooftint applied to dried DT. The line isn't seamless as it reacts differently to each area and the amount of already soaked in stain. The end result was a nice thin burst line. Not exactly even everywhere, but that kind of adds to the charm I think. So yes kind of feathered, kind of letting the natural reaction happen for itself. The cotton bud was mainly focused just around getting the Prooftint around the edges cleanly and then letting nature do it's thing.

I would be curious to see how this method goes with other kinds of stains (water, dye, oil, spirit) etc. And I'm sure it will yield different results for each. The reaction may not occur with some.

Hopefully that answers your questions. Let me know otherwise.

Many thanks Barkersdozen, sounds straight forward enough. I understand about stain reacting differently to different areas from my first kit guitar. Like most experiments, test first and test again. Much appreciated. Damn it looks good.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkMark View Post
    Many thanks Barkersdozen, sounds straight forward enough. I understand about stain reacting differently to different areas from my first kit guitar. Like most experiments, test first and test again. Much appreciated. Damn it looks good.
    My pleasure mate! It's all fun, ain't it. Appreciate the kind words

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 LastLast