Thread: First build P Bass, please help

First build P Bass, please help

Ok so,
    I got a P bass kit for Christmas last year and up until this point I didn't want to bother any of you lovely people, since I've been managing the build with help from my Dad and youtube. But I could really use some good advice for my latest unexpected problem.

I'm up to my final assembly and while I was drilling one of the bridge holes, the drill bit broke off. It's way too far in to get pliers on and the youtube suggestions looked like they would just make the problem bigger and more noticeable...

It's one of the corner holes and if necessary I can mess up my finish under the bridge, but any suggestions that involve the least amount of damage to the surrounding finish would be appreciated.

Thanks

Hey Ahscay - have you got any photos - may give us some options to help.

I'd probably try this if you can get your hands on the extractor tool. I can't think of any way to do this without removing at least enough wood to be able to get some needle-nosed pliers on the end of the bit and slowly turn it counterclockwise to reverse it out.

https://youtu.be/L8sbKu_uv-A

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

My only suggestion without seeing it is maybe drill another hole with a drill press next to the bit, on the side that is being covered, extract the bit then fill both holes with an expoxy then re-drill. If this area is not seen then it should make little difference.

I'm with Hardcore on that one, I have done this. It you drill nice and close to it with the same size or a little bigger, you should be able to push the broken bit sideways with a small screwdriver and them pull it out with some needle nose pliers. You could them fill the hole with matchsticks and pva glue or even builders bog. The damage won't be seen under the bridge.

Thanks for your help
    I managed to get it out without doing any damage to anything not hidden by the bridge
    I didn't end up drilling my hole big enough to get pliers in but was able to wiggle the bit out with a cake skewer, so not too much to patch up.
    Thanks again for the suggestions everybody

Quote Originally Posted by Ahscay View Post
    was able to wiggle the bit out with a cake skewer, so not too much to patch up.
    Amazing what you can achieve with re-purposed household items.
    In my case though I have to make sure their inappropriate usage does not attract the attention of you-know-who.

cheers, Mark.

8. Liked by: Andyxlh, Brendan

Great to hear Ahscay. Hope the rest of the build is going well.

I don't know what a cake skewer is, but sounds like a winner!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk