Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: JK-1 Build By Spawn25

JK-1 Build By Spawn25

Hi all, I've really enjoyed building my IB-7. So, like most of you i"m building my second guitar. This time it's the JK-1.
    The reason for this one is because I've liked and wanted this shape for a long time. Gonna spend a bit of time on this one, as I want to do a cool paint finish and some airbrushing on it. So far I've done the test fit, sanded and sealed the wood.

cool ! This one is on my radar as well
    Build 19 PSH-1 Kustom
    Build 18 HB-4S Kustom
    Build 17 WL-1 Kustom
    Build 16 TL-1TB Kustom
    Build 15 PBG-2-
    Build 14 FTD-1
    Build 13 RD-1 Kustom
    Build 12 DM-1S
    Build 11 MKA-2 -
    Build 10 Basic strat
    Build 9 JM Kustom
    Build 8 FV-1G
    Build 7 ES-2V
    Build 6- Community prototype
    Build 5 LP-1LQ
    Build 4 ES-5V
    Build 3 JR-1
    Build 2 GD-1
    Build 1 TLA-1

The different tone bands in the timber are pretty cool, though I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with the airbrushing
    #001 (LP-1S) [finished - co-runner up Nov 2018 GOTM]
    #002 (WL-1)
    #003 (MPL Megacaster - semi scratch build) [finished]
    #004 (ST-1 JR - Arachnoid Superhero build) [finished]
    #005 (LP jr)
    #006 (TL-1A)

Junk shop acoustic refurbs (various)
    'The TGS Special'

Laid some black primer on the JK-1. I will block it right back and prime it again. I want this guitar flat. I've used black so I don't need too much black basecoat when I start laying down colour. After the black i will be laying down a red marble effect before I airbrush it. There is going to be a bit of paint on this!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnH View Post
    The different tone bands in the timber are pretty cool, though I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with the airbrushing
    Cheers John. I can’t wait to airbrush it! It will be some time befor I do though. One again, your LP-1S on GOTM is bloody awesome🤘🏾

Good evening fellas,
    Here's an update of my guitar build. I bought some pick up covers, because I wanted to have the same finish on the pick ups as the body. I was originally going to paint the pick ups, but came to the conclusion it was too hard.
    With the paint, I laid down a black base, then put a Red marbilizer over the top, sprayed black around the edges to fade it in and cleared it with dna custom clear. An excellent clear coat to use and you can buy it in 1 litre kits!
    I'll let it cure for a week or so before sanding it back to airbrush it. Can't wait to airbrush it!

I’m liking it!
    Build 1: Non-PBG Flamed Maple LP - Wine Red
    Build 2: JRM-1DC - The Butterscotch Belle

Pedalboard Build

Quote Originally Posted by churchie View Post
    I’m liking it!
    Cheers mate. Can't wait until we get some decent sunlight to see the colour pop!

Are the pickup covers plastic or metal? If metal, you'll need to stick them on with some wax to the top of the bobbins (if you haven't already done so), otherwise as the covers vibrate from loud sounds, them moving in the magnetic field is picked up and you can get high pitched squealing that you can't damp with your hand. If plastic, you should be OK, as I can't see any reason why they would cause microphonics.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    Are the pickup covers plastic or metal? If metal, you'll need to stick them on with some wax to the top of the bobbins (if you haven't already done so), otherwise as the covers vibrate from loud sounds, them moving in the magnetic field is picked up and you can get high pitched squealing that you can't damp with your hand. If plastic, you should be OK, as I can't see any reason why they would cause microphonics.
    Thank you for letting me know about the pick up covers Simon. I’ll keep that in mind for future projects. They are plastic. Fingers crossed it will work out when I do the final assembly.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast