Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: AGB-30 Short Scale Bass Build

AGB-30 Short Scale Bass Build

This is my AGB-30 short scale bass. I plan to paint it a Purple Candy Sparkle Pearl with a 2K clear coat.

I just did a sand on the body tonight and will try to sand the neck tomorrow. The neck is dry fitted in the pic, I haven't glues it yet, I plan to do that after painting.

Fishbone
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AGB-30.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	195.2 KB 
ID:	35643  
    Last edited by fishbone; 11-06-2020 at 12:26 PM.

Great kit and colour choice, look forward to seeing it built
    #001 (LP-1S) [finished - co-runner up Nov 2018 GOTM]
    #002 (WL-1)
    #003 (MPL Megacaster - semi scratch build) [finished]
    #004 (ST-1 JR - Arachnoid Superhero build) [finished]
    #005 (LP jr)
    #006 (TL-1A)

Junk shop acoustic refurbs (various)
    'The TGS Special'

Sanded the neck tonight (not the fingerboard). I started with P220 and finished with P500. I'm currently masking the fingerboard leaving the frets exposed. Then I will polish the frets with a Dremel tool and polishing compound to get a high gloss finish. After that, I will mask off the entire fingerboard in preparation for painting and/or clearcoat.

Name:	IMG_20200610_211221_8 (2).jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	255.1 KB 
ID:	35666  
    Last edited by fishbone; 13-06-2020 at 04:08 AM.

Personally I'd wait until the guitar was ready to string up before polishing frets. It really is one of the last things you want to do as you are bound to get some marks on them during the build that will mean you repeat the process.

I also find a Dremel on frets is a bit dangerous as it doesn't go slowly enough and builds up a lot of heat very quickly and can damage the fretboard even under masking tape (I've done this so you don't have to). Nothing wrong with a cloth and some metal polish to do the job in safety.

Did the final sanding on the body and neck today. I used sanding sealer and grain filler and it feels really smooth. I will start the topcoat tomorrow. I'm not painting the neck, just going to clear coat it next week when I clear coat the body. I'm using a 2K clear coat spray can, which I've never used before. I hope it works out.

I need to know how to do the Pitbull decal. It's it a water based decal? Is it ok to clear coat over it, or will the clear coat dissolve the decal? I'm using a 2K spray clear coat, with the activator inside the can.

I primed the body yesterday. Just waiting 24 hours to sand, then when my paint arrives I will start the painting.

Name:	Primed Body Resized.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	218.6 KB 
ID:	36044  
    Last edited by fishbone; 18-06-2020 at 11:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fishbone View Post
    I need to know how to do the Pitbull decal. It's it a water based decal? Is it ok to clear coat over it, or will the clear coat dissolve the decal? I'm using a 2K spray clear coat, with the activator inside the can.
    I don't know about 2K, but I have used clear acrylic lacquer many times over decals mostly without issues. The only issue I have had is some slight defects on some blue parts of the decal. Frustratingly, that was on the headstock decal of my tele. If you have any spare decals it would be worth testing.
    Mantra: No more pedals, must finish BlueyCaster...
    Disclaimer: I haven't done woodwork since high school, and wasn't really paying attention at the time ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast