Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Woltz's semi-scratch strat build

Mentor
    Clamps are off. And I've trimmed the edge. I couldn't resist wiping the top with some spirits to see the colour.

Yes, that is looking great.

I mean this in the nicest possible way but... I can't believe you're the same dude that was having so much trouble with your TLA-1Q build!

This thinline is a huge leap forward in terms of complexity and execution. I applaud your fortitude.
    I haven't even attempted a solid body scratchy yet! Good on ya!

What has become of that TLA anyway?
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Igor says that you need more electrodes....

Very nice work so far Mr. Woltz!
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by blinddrew View Post
    Oh that's sweet!
    Thanks mate, I think the overall image in my mind should come out looking nice.

Quote Originally Posted by McCreed View Post
    Yes, that is looking great.

I mean this in the nicest possible way but... I can't believe you're the same dude that was having so much trouble with your TLA-1Q build!

This thinline is a huge leap forward in terms of complexity and execution. I applaud your fortitude.
    I haven't even attempted a solid body scratchy yet! Good on ya!

What has become of that TLA anyway?
    I know the TLA definitely has not gone to plan. Honestly I think the main thing is that because the scratch build is starting from a clean slate I've been able to plan things better.

As far as progress on it, I thought about just selling off the body and keeping everything else as spare parts for the future but for now I'm persevering, the neck is sitting ready for lacquer once the weather warms up. The body could require some additional work before repaint depending on what I find with depth clearance for the push pull pot.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenWashie View Post
    Igor says that you need more electrodes....

Very nice work so far Mr. Woltz!
    Thanks mate. The most difficult part, the neck, starts in the next couple weeks. Still haven't settled on a cheap but accurate method for fret slot cutting.

On a side note, the 12 string Ric plan is slowly progressing when I find spare minutes here and there. That may well be my second scratch build.

Quote Originally Posted by Woltz View Post
    Thanks mate. The most difficult part, the neck, starts in the next couple weeks. Still haven't settled on a cheap but accurate method for fret slot cutting.
    The easiest method i've seen is a straight guide bar, mounted to a flat section of mdf. you run a verified square square against this and use it to mark your fret slots.
    If you chock the board up and clamp it square to your datum you can very carefully cut against your square.
    FrankenLab

Mentor
    Got the pickup cavities and the neck pocket routed today.

Test fitting the neck template.

Body weight is now at 1.938kg. F holes still to be routed which will reduce the weight a fraction more.

Mock up with some of the gold hardware and starting to think about locations for the knobs. The actual bridge (gotoh plain gold 6 saddle) that will go on this guitar should arrive on monday.

That’s looking absolutely magic. Not one for ornate hardware but that bridge plate looks MINTED!
    FrankenLab

Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankenWashie View Post
    That’s looking absolutely magic. Not one for ornate hardware but that bridge plate looks MINTED!
    Haha Franken I agree it's nice but that bridge plate has been scrapped from this build. I'd have to relocate the bridge pickup route to get the scale length correct and also alter the shape of the cavity to get a pickup to fit because the hole in the plate isn't cut at the correct angle. Obviously if I made those changes then if I want to change parts in the future it would present problems.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Woltz View Post
    Haha Franken I agree it's nice but that bridge plate has been scrapped from this build. I'd have to relocate the bridge pickup route to get the scale length correct and also alter the shape of the cavity to get a pickup to fit because the hole in the plate isn't cut at the correct angle. Obviously if I made those changes then if I want to change parts in the future it would present problems.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Geez that's a bit of a shame, the relief carving in it seems to sit well with the darker grain tones that shoot through that top.

Not to be i guess! Lovely stuff at any rate.
    FrankenLab

Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast