Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Woltz's semi-scratch strat build

Looking good Woltz!

It's been great following this. Builds like this and Kac's "Crane Fabric Tele" really inspire me and make me want to challenge myself with each new build. Thanks!

BTW, if you haven't seen Kac's finished tele, you've to check it out!
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Mentor
    So just found that my Tonerider Neck Pickup doesn't work. Less than ideal but now I guess I'll learn to wind pickups. Has anyone on here wound pickups before that could give me some pointers including some sort of jig for it.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Woltz - do you have a multimeter?
    If you do, it would be worth checking it with the meter before declaring it dead. It could be just one of the coil wire ends needs a dob of solder. I have encountered this before and was able to save the pickup.

Also, did it work before but not now? Was it DOA? If DOA, talk to Adam or where ever you bought it and see about a replacement.
    I always check newly purchased pickups with my meter just to confirm they're working and not DOA. I do it the day they arrive so if there is an issue it be resolved before too much time has passed and have a stronger argument that it was not a result of something I did.

As for winding your own pickups... that's a whole different world and not one most folks just go out and buy the parts & gear and jump in to. Not to mention set up costs can be prohibitive for most people. And winding pickups is truly an art.
    Not saying you can't or couldn't do it, but there's a reason the majority of builders (especially DIY builders) buy they're pickups from someone else.

I'd see what other practical options you have before buying coil wire; magnets; bobbins and a winding rig. Just sayin'

Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by McCreed View Post
    Woltz - do you have a multimeter?
    If you do, it would be worth checking it with the meter before declaring it dead. It could be just one of the coil wire ends needs a dob of solder. I have encountered this before and was able to save the pickup.

Also, did it work before but not now? Was it DOA? If DOA, talk to Adam or where ever you bought it and see about a replacement.
    I always check newly purchased pickups with my meter just to confirm they're working and not DOA. I do it the day they arrive so if there is an issue it be resolved before too much time has passed and have a stronger argument that it was not a result of something I did.

As for winding your own pickups... that's a whole different world and not one most folks just go out and buy the parts & gear and jump in to. Not to mention set up costs can be prohibitive for most people. And winding pickups is truly an art.
    Not saying you can't or couldn't do it, but there's a reason the majority of builders (especially DIY builders) buy they're pickups from someone else.

I'd see what other practical options you have before buying coil wire; magnets; bobbins and a winding rig. Just sayin'
    Yep I have a multimeter. That's how I discovered the problem, I was going through and checking all the pickups I have. The pickup isn't in a guitar yet. The dilemma is, it likely was DOA but it was almost 12 months ago when I purchased from Adam, I didn't check it when I first received it and I've pulled the nickel cover off to replace with a gold cover which, even though I'm confident that didn't create the problem, would be viewed by the supplier that I could've caused the problem.

I've ordered a replacement neck pickup for this build.

And I've ordered some components off ebay to build my own cheap pickup winder (going to DIY one like this guys https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxVLF-maqb4). I'll just need to shoot down to the big green shed to get some plywood to make a housing for the parts. I can obviously use the bobbins and magnets that this pickup already has. I was actually already looking into potentially winding my own pickups for my next build in the future so I don't mind giving it a shot. By making a winder myself and having the bobbins and magnets already, if it doesn't work out it actually won't cost me too much.

Plus we all need a hobbies and I don't mind a challenge haha.

@Andy40 has delved into pickup winding I believe. Maybe shoot him a question if you need/get stuck

That's fair enough. I'll be interested to hear how you go.
    Who knows, maybe I'll be buying pickups from you next time!
    Best of luck!

Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakersdozen View Post
    @Andy40 has delved into pickup winding I believe. Maybe shoot him a question if you need/get stuck
    Awesome. Thanks mate.

Quote Originally Posted by McCreed View Post
    That's fair enough. I'll be interested to hear how you go.
    Who knows, maybe I'll be buying pickups from you next time!
    Best of luck!
    Haha we will see how I go.

Mentor
    So last night I only got a couple things done. I rounded over the edges.

And I cut the scarf joint. It came up ok. I'll make up a little jig to thickness down the headstock piece.

Quote Originally Posted by Woltz View Post
    So last night I only got a couple things done. I rounded over the edges.

And I cut the scarf joint. It came up ok. I'll make up a little jig to thickness down the headstock piece.
    I take it you are gluing to the back of the neck blank, not to the angled section?
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankenWashie View Post
    I take it you are gluing to the back of the neck blank, not to the angled section?
    Yep. My blank wasn't long enough to do it the other way around.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast