Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: Woltz's semi-scratch strat build

Mentor
    So clamp removed from where I glued back the chip.

Still a bit of a cavity. Fill with some superglue and saw dust.

You can still see evidence of it but for my first attempt at a repair like that I'm reasonably happy.

I also finished routing the cavities.

I have a couple of little blemishes where the router tipped just slightly putting a small groove in the inside wall. I could fill them but no one will probably ever know that they are there.

Does anyone have any thoughts on natural inside of an F hole versus painted?

I also made myself a fret bevelling file that can do 35° and 90°. I can't claim the design as mine, I saw it on another forum.

And I cut the pieces for my truss rod routing jig and mocked up to make sure the router would fit. I need to drill the holes for the t nuts and bolts to secure the necks in the side pieces and then I can glue it up.

Mentor
    Started routing the body on the router table. First side went ok.

Started second side and boom big tear out, damage the router bit...

...and the body got thrown across the room with the end result being:

And with that my patience for all things guitar building is almost gone.

Mentor
    Despite my frustration and disappointment, I am going to attempt to salvage it.

1st step. Glue the body back together.

Oh man, that's heartbreaking. D:

I hope you can bring yourself to salvage it one day when you've had some distance from it.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

#4 - Zero Budget
    #3 - Semi-Scratch Baritone w. PBG 30" Tele neck
    #2 - EX-1
    #1 - ST-1M

Bloody Hell! It’s concerning that it got thrown so forcefully, potentially it could have been straight at you or flicked up into your face with the router following it. I hope (wounded pride and bruised luthier enthusiasm aside) that you weren’t hurt

A few question on the incident:
    Was that on a router table or were you using that Schmick Triton shown earlier?
    how did you clamp it down?
    were you heading forwards up that curve on the bout or down to the rear of the body?
    What is the direction of rotation for the router?
    Are you using a standard 2flute cutter or a spiral type 3 or four flute bit?

it looks like you were a fair ways down the body side on that cut when it grabbed, how deep a cut were you on?

Edit: I just back tracked the thread, The body blank being Tas Oak may not be helping the grabby grabby on the router bits. Vic Ash does similar things, but I’ve had good results with Plantation Mahogany and Qld Maple.
    Last edited by FrankenWashie; 11-06-2019 at 08:22 PM.
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Oh man! You’re definitely rolling with the punches with your perseverance. I’m guessing the rotation of the router bit is clockwise by where it has chunked.

Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankenWashie View Post
    Bloody Hell! It’s concerning that it got thrown so forcefully, potentially it could have been straight at you or flicked up into your face with the router following it. I hope (wounded pride and bruised luthier enthusiasm aside) that you weren’t hurt

A few question on the incident:
    Was that on a router table or were you using that Schmick Triton shown earlier?
    how did you clamp it down?
    were you heading forwards up that curve on the bout or down to the rear of the body?
    What is the direction of rotation for the router?
    Are you using a standard 2flute cutter or a spiral type 3 or four flute bit?

it looks like you were a fair ways down the body side on that cut when it grabbed, how deep a cut were you on?

Edit: I just back tracked the thread, The body blank being Tas Oak may not be helping the grabby grabby on the router bits. Vic Ash does similar things, but I’ve had good results with Plantation Mahogany and Qld Maple.
    Cheers Franken not hurt at all, so all good. When using the router table I'm always careful where my hands are so that if something like this happens they aren't anywhere near the router bit. Admittedly I exaggerated slightly when I said across the room. It threw it off the router table and onto the floor maybe 1m away.

It was on a kreg router table with a triton router underneath. Essentially brand new diablo 2 flute pattern bit. Heading forwards with cavities and template face down on the table. So it was a standard cut not a climb cut, but reading a bit more it sounds like some people do a climb cut on that particular area of the body to try prevent tear out. Depth of the cut was very shallow because I knew the chance of tear out with this wood was higher.

I've glued the body back together and it looks pretty good when I took the clamps off this morning. A lot of the tear out area will actually be routed away and what is left I'll repair with a epoxy saw dust mix.

Had the same thing happen the other week as well on my router table (scared s$%t out of me) I always use the attached routing plan when doing by hand but didn't when I was using the table. Body reshape pending
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0261.JPG 
Views:	106 
Size:	399.6 KB 
ID:	31336  
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by vh2580; 12-06-2019 at 09:24 AM.
    Tony

It's a near miss and a half. Happy to hear you weren't hurt and that the prognosis is good on the patient.
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Woltz View Post
    Started routing the body on the router table. First side went ok.

Started second side and boom big tear out, damage the router bit...

...and the body got thrown across the room with the end result being:

And with that my patience for all things guitar building is almost gone.
    Oh crap.

Definitely feeling you on that one! Router is so awesome, but certainly has the potential to go south pretty quickly.

Also feeling you on the pushing forward with the build. I feel I jumped the gun on getting my templates cut and have since gone back to think about it a bit differently for the next one.

Still umming an ahhing over finishing what I have.. which at least is giving it plenty of time to harden....
    Build 1 - Shoegazer MK1 JMA-1
    Build 2 - The Relliecaster TL-1
    Build 3 - The Black Cherry SG AG-1
    Build 4 - The Sonicaster TL-1ish
    Build 5 - The Steampunker Bass YB-4
    Build 6 - The Howling Gowing ST-1

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"

Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast